Bruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruising

I asked this question on the Medication Forum and did not get many reply's so I'm going to ask it here.

I have noticed increased bruising in my legs and abdomen. I am about to take my 7th dose of Avonex. I am also going in tomorrow to have my blood drawn at the dr.'s.

This bruising is not near or related to my injection sites. I was scratching my leg over my jeans the other day (not allergic reaction just a bothersome itch that lasted for a few minutes) and I looked down in the shower this morning and saw some bruising in that area.

One poster said that bruising is a "severe" sign and I should call my dr. I did and he's not there this week. The best the nurse could do was ask a nurse practitioner about it and the message I got was to get my blood tested- but it could be something else. Anyway it freaked me out!

I'm freaked. Has anyone had increase bruises not related to their injections while taking Avonex?
    Thanks
    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
    Avonex 1/12-10/12
    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
    Rediagnosis 7/14

Not sure how much this will help, Im not on avonex, but does avonex have a 24hour nurse line you could call? From all the literature I got from my neuro about avonex, bruising is not a good thing. Ive been on beta and now copax and both have those 24hour nurse hotlines that you can call for support, info and etc. You may want to give that a try too.

Comment

Bruising

I am having the same problem but some of mine have been aroung my injection sights and others have not called avonex 24 hour line and they took my info and told me to call my neuro witch I did and they felt it might be I was injecting improperly and sent another avonex nurse out after i had already been injecting already for 6 months! but when Avonex nurse came and checked my teqnique she said I was doing everything perfect and wrote a report to turn into FDA as maybe something to look for as a possible side effect but were not listinng it a such, I am bringing it up with my neuro today cause I find I am bruising alot and much easier thenI ever have. The one was the size of a softball at the sight and lasted over 3 weeks. I would definately call Avonex and then Neuro. Goodluck and keep us posted.

Comment

Could it be related to the liver due to Avonex?
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

catmom and debz

I went to my neuro and they gave me a blood test. My blood tests came back normal. I am still bruising around injection sites and in my legs more than usual. still don't know why.
          ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
          Dx the first time: 10/25/11
          Avonex 1/12-10/12
          Revaluation of Dx 10/12
          Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

Are you taking any other medications, otc or Rx?
            M.
            A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Just legs?

Is it just on the legs, or other places, too?

Bruising easily can be a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency. And that's not uncommon with MSers. But it wouldn't be isolated to just one spot.

I don't take Avonex, so I can't say anything about its possible side effects. Just thought I'd throw out a not-so-scary possibility for why you'd need a blood test. Unfortunately, a lot of the other symptoms overlap quite a bit with MS symptoms (fatigue and neuropathy being two big ones). Weight loss is another big sign.

I had B12 deficiency with my first exacerbation - and since the MRI was clean, they left it at the diagnosis of vitamin deficiency. (No DMDs at the time, so no harm done.)

Comment

I love this cite

I just asked my husband why am I getting so many bruises.. I don't even recall hurting my self in these areas and they are not in my injection areas. Guess I better get more consistent taking my vitamin B
                limbo land for 1 year and 4 months DX February 2012 Copaxon February 2012 for 6 months. No DMD's since.

Comment

You need to hace that blood test to make sure the Avonex is not affecting the platelets / liver etc. Personally I would have that before taking the next Avonex.
                  Good Luck.

Comment

FWIW I seem to bruise much more easily these days. Have been on Avonex, now on Ty and still bruise easily and they seem to last a long time. Recently had my blood tested- everything was fine, in fact B12 was a little high- apparently I was supplementing a bit too much. Neuro does not seem to be concerned. Still good to check it out though.
                    Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Working...
                    X