? Burning on fire arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? Burning on fire arms

My dh and I refer to these as Pizza Arms! lol As they feel like I just stuck them into a pizza oven up to my shoulders. They are on fire and it doesn't stop for a period of time (????? don't ever know how long it is going to last a few minutes, hours or days). I haven't been to MS doc since 2008 when dh lost his job (he has a second interview tomorrow at 11am cst pray for him if you do that pls). Thus I don't remember the name of the RX to take for this issue. Obviously it won't kill me, but fyi it does get on my last nerve (yes pun intended). I know it's some kind of nerve pain like I get on my leg but I don't remember what causes it and why it comes and goes. Does anyone remember the name of the RX? Or why it comes and goes (going being the most important part for me he he)? I think something like carbamazepine or something like that (u all know the spelling of drugs is absurd). Thanks for your input

You're remembering correctly! Carbamazepine (brand name Tegretol) is one of the meds used for nerve pain. Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) is probably the most commonly prescribed med for nerve pain. Lyrica is also commonly used. (Lyrica is chemically similar to gabapentin.) Carbamazepine and gabapentin are generics. Lyrica currently isn't available as a generic, but the manufacturer (Pfizer) has a patient assistance program to help with the cost.

Comment

Thanks for info.

Glad to know I still have a few brain cells that work off and on (more off than on lol)!!

Comment

My Face feels like that on and off, mostly on lately, I'm not sure how to describe it is like from on fire with a fever or sunburnt. I take Gabapentin 2700mg a day and when I get that feeling I take 600mg a day more and it really does help

Comment

I just found this thread & must say my feet & hands get this "On Fire/Burning" feeling sometimes. It can even wake me up at night. I've tried ice packs with no relief. I take Carbamazepine.
          I hope you get insurance quickly. I have none yet but I am Thankful for Wonderful ER doctors who help.
          Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
          Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

I have tried Tegrtol Lyrica and Gabopentin also known as Neurontin. For me Gabopentin is the best choice because i can tolerate it. It does help though does not completely take it away. Probablya higher dose would but i dont do well with meds so i will deal with it.

Good luck
            laurie

Comment

I take Lyrica for the burning in my face, arms, chest and back. It helps make it tolerable.
              My burning used to come and go, now it has stayed for months. I think it is something that I am going to get to keep now.
              DX 10/26/11

Comment

wow, i thought i was crazy!!! i had that or several months!! shoulders down to my elbows.
                it was so bad i cried,i dont cry...
                worst pain ever and knowing there was nothing to do about it was worse!
                so, i got in to my cnp and she perscribed the gabopentin..
                while it was taking its time to work,it ws horrible!! now i take 3, 3 times a day.
                i think im at max? but , it sure keeps it at bay! it lets me know when i over work thou..don

Comment

Working...
                X