Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would I be lucky? [a vent]

Well, a little vent...

So, I am officially RRMS, new neuro says MS since at least 2004, so going on 8 years.

Someone at work says "well then you are so lucky then", and my husband says "that is good because you are not that bad"....

The way I'm seeing it, is that now this means the clock has been "ticking" for 8 years.

Is there data about the average time to disability from onset?? I know it is no guarantee, and everyone is different, and its just an "average"...

Again, the most aggravating thing about MS for me is the unknown...

Can the meds or exercise or anything get rid of the foot drop!!?? I want to wear regular shoes again.

I could deal with the weak leg, if I could just pick up my foot and walk a little normal again...in real shoes.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Yeah, lucky you're not worse off, but with the possibility for real disability out there, it doesn't seem lucky at all, does it? I get what people mean when they say it, but I'd rather they not say it at all.

Comment

Physical Therapy

Jbell-

I have foot drop too and my doc ordered physical therapy. It has done wonders for me. I go once a week, and thankfully it is covered by my insurance. My left foot has really improved and my left side is markedly improved and strengthened.

But that is my experience only.

Katie

Comment

Thanks Katie! I keep wanting to ask what you did NOT?? LOL

I have been going to PT for a few months, but no better on the foot drop. It actually seems worse to me. I'm fine when I wear the AFO because it holds up the foot and lifts it for me, so I wonder if its making it even weaker because i'm not doing the work.

I try to exercise it everyday, several times a day, but nothing seems to help it.

I was hoping if the meds could lessen a lesion or two, maybe it would go away. That would be my one wish, to get rid of the foot drop.

I am grieving the loss of wearing pretty shoes.
        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

"pretty shoes", lol. I just put my heeled boots in the closet for now. Got some flats and riding boots for now.

J-I hope you are happy to be formally Dx now. MS is crappy and there are many layers of crappy along with it.
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
            Can the meds or exercise or anything get rid of the foot drop!!??
            Not in my case. I have had foot drop (both feet are affected) since I was a kid.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Honestly, I don't know. I've had RRMS for 13 years.

I was pretty much okay for 10 years, just got tired a lot, sensory flares a few times, but no major dramas.

In the last three, it's all gone a bit pear-shaped. Big, can't walk much flares (sounds like a fashion item), balance gone, brain a bit wonky and a feeling of general malaise.

I have a disability parking permit (which is actually a very good thing to have, if you didn't have to have the disability to go with it).

I can walk, but not too well, and I need to rest every minute or so.

You're right about the uncertainty, because you can't help but consider/ plan for the worst, and while it may never happen, you worry it will.

And it's not a 'oh I might get cancer' thing, it's a 'there's a good chance I'm going to be disabled' thing. It's not a possibility, it's a probability.

It may never happen. In my case, it has, but that doesn't it will in yours.

All the best.

Comment

"It's not a possibility, it's a probability."

Thank you for this phrase--it is exactly what I wanted to say, and you put it so perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X