.7T Open Air vs 3T Closed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovejoy View Post
    open MRI's are a waste of time and money, if you don't like tight places then ask to be sedated.
    That is inaccurate.

rex

Comment

UPMC here in Pittsburgh has changed all of their Machines to 3T ones. They are not long Tubes, more of a Donut and fairly quiet. First 3T I had was at Sports Medicine, they have the newest Toys.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

The Consortium of MS Centers
        MRI Protocol for the Diagnosis and Follow-up of MS

has written in their procedure that MRI done of brain and spinal cord for MS be done on a 1T or greater mri machine. An open MRI is 0.7T. Its an expensive test to be done with less than an adequate tool for the job. Given that, i still was diagnosed based upon a scan from an open MRI that had time available when i went to an ER, admitted with either stroke or acute episode newly diagnosed MS--diagnosed within 2.5 hours of being admitted. So 0.7T did the job but if nothing had shown it would be a suspect piece of the puzzle and perhaps scheduling a follow up MRI in a closed 1.5T(or 3.0T) would have been appropriate. All subsequent mri's have been scheduled, in the closed MRI machine.

i have read that MRI comparisons at different Telsa strengths cannot really be used to evaluate drug effectiveness. Because the 3T will show so much greater detail that it makes it look like the drug has been ineffective. A person has to wait for a 2nd MRI at the same strength to determine the effectiveness of the drug.

Its really the strength of the MRI magnet that can do the job. For some <1 T will do it and for others >1T is needed.

http://www.mscare.org/cmsc/images/pd...otocol2003.pdf
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
          The Consortium of MS Centers
          MRI Protocol for the Diagnosis and Follow-up of MS

has written in their procedure that MRI done of brain and spinal cord for MS be done on a 1T or greater mri machine. An open MRI is 0.7T. Its an expensive test to be done with less than an adequate tool for the job. Given that, i still was diagnosed based upon a scan from an open MRI that had time available when i went to an ER, admitted with either stroke or acute episode newly diagnosed MS--diagnosed within 2.5 hours of being admitted. So 0.7T did the job but if nothing had shown it would be a suspect piece of the puzzle and perhaps scheduling a follow up MRI in a closed 1.5T(or 3.0T) would have been appropriate. All subsequent mri's have been scheduled, in the closed MRI machine.

i have read that MRI comparisons at different Telsa strengths cannot really be used to evaluate drug effectiveness. Because the 3T will show so much greater detail that it makes it look like the drug has been ineffective. A person has to wait for a 2nd MRI at the same strength to determine the effectiveness of the drug.

Its really the strength of the MRI magnet that can do the job. For some <1 T will do it and for others >1T is needed.

http://www.mscare.org/cmsc/images/pd...otocol2003.pdf
          The detail or overall quality of an MRI image is about one thing: signal-to-noise ratio. Noise is constant, while signal can be built via field strength, superior coil technology and/or multiple signal excitations. The only thing a higher field magnet will do is produce more signal - there's nothing magical about the magnet at 3T vs., say, 1.5T. You can compensate for lower field strength, but it takes time, i.e., the scan will take longer, and then motion artifact becomes problematic. But it's not impossible, regardless of what a group of neurologists think.

Anyway, give the average neurologist a 3T scan and he still struggles to make a diagnosis.

rex

Comment

Had the 3T scan today, and no problems. Didn't get claustrophobic or anything. Now, I just have to wait for the results!
            “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” Thoreau

Comment

Working...
            X