ON & Sensitivity to light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ON & Sensitivity to light?

I had a real nasty issue with bright sunlight one time, long ago that lasted several days. Is that likely related to MS or Optic Neuritis or most likely something else?

Thanks...

Gomer

THIS WILL BE NO HELP TO YOU BUT I HAVE HAD YOUR PROBLEM FOR DECADES. RESTRICTED TO DAYTIME DRIVING FOR 20 YRS. THREE EYE DRS SAY THEY SHOW NOTHING IN EYES TO CAUSE IT. HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK.

Comment

The problem I had was a PROBLEM with bright sunlight, for a few days I could not stand the bright light, I had help getting from one place to another outdoors for a few days. My vision was BETTER indoors and at night.

Gomer

Comment

Hi gomer:
        Considering all of the things that can cause sensitivity to light, without a skilled person examining your eyes at the time, it's impossible to know now what the cause of yours might have been. The passage of time and your medical history allow some causes to be ruled out and to know what the cause probably wasn't. But of the rest, speculation is all it can be.

Although some people have light sensitivity with ON, it isn't a typical symptom of ON. (If you research ON using reputable medical sources, you'll find that photophobia/light sensitivity isn't on the lists of common symptoms.) I've had dozens of episodes of ON, and never had photophobia with any of them. During my worst episode, I knew it was really bad when I walked out into bright sunlight with my pupils fully dilated and never even flinched -- quite the opposite of photophobia.

So considering only that photophobia isn't a typical symptoms of ON, then noting that the episode didn't also include the loss of vision that's typical of ON, the odds are that your episode probably wasn't ON. Considering only that photophobia is more typical of other causes, the odds are that the episode was due to something else. But, again, that's speculation.

Comment

I had had a recent eye exam around then (other problems). My eyes had been dilated, but they had a problem dilating them. Was it related????

Every time I can remember having my eyes dilated, it wore off in hours, same day. I can not recall ever having the drops affecting my vision days later....weird.

The most memorable thing was the problem dealing with sunlight for several days and could not stand to look ahead out doors.

Thanx redwings......

Gomer

Comment

As far as I know, I have never had ON.

I have been light sensitive my entire life. And I do mean my ENTIRE life. I have never enjoyed sunshine, not even in Kindergarten. I am 26 years old, and yet I cannot recall a single instant where I have ever enjoyed sunlight near my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
              I had had a recent eye exam around then (other problems). My eyes had been dilated, but they had a problem dilating them. Was it related????
              Pupils tend to dilate poorly in diabetic patients. If you were diabetic at the time of that exam, that might have been the reason.

Every time I can remember having my eyes dilated, it wore off in hours, same day.
              Dilating drops typically wear off in about 6 hours, so it sounds like your response has been pretty normal. On occasion, some people are still somewhat dilated the next day, but that's rare. The time I walked out into the bright sunshine with dilated pupils during my ON episode, I had just left the ophthalmologist's office. For some reason I hadn't put my sunglasses on before stepping out of the building. When I had no reaction to the bright sunlight, I knew there was no hurry in putting them on...

Comment

I had ON 3 years ago, before my diagnosis. The light sensitivity was horrible and in fact was the only part that stayed with me, although much milder, after the ON cleared up. I wore sunglasses outside, but indoors was very difficult when lights were bright. I sat in the dark a lot.
                Carole
                diagnosed 10/25/11

Comment

Thanks RedWings.......

BY the way... The tiger cat in front ot the Detroit Tigers current ball field is sporting a red wing jersey right now.. (related to upcoming BIG hockey event that spans from the Big House (ann arbor FB stadium to Detroit) this next New Years.

I was NOT Dx as diabetic (yet) at the time. I did have a scare at age 14, but got better. I did have another scare at age 22 but that was well over a year later after A-school. I had been admitted to sick bay, once I was able to pass a urine sugar test I was allowed to return to duty. I do not recall having any Diabetic Sx at the time (the question at hand).

Even after I was formally Dx w/Diabetes years later, after the Navy, I never had any problems with eye dilation.

One problem for me has always been very poor medical documentation in my Navy records. In fact poor medical care was my main REASON for not staying in the Navy.

Gomer

Comment

Working...
                  X