EMG Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMG Question

My Wife is scheduled for an EMG next month. She has never had one. I think I understand how the tests work but I am not 100% sure I have an understanding of what the results may mean. She is currently experiencing T&N in her lower Left Leg, Left Hand, and sometimes on her chin.

Please let me know if I have this right, if not, please enlighten me.

If her test shows "normal" then there is likely a problem in her Central Nervous System, like MS or something else.

If her test shows "abnormal" then there is likely a problem in her peripheral Nervous System, Some type of neuropathy, etc..

Hi Neo--

I am not an expert on EMGs, but have had several.

And my neuro stated exactly what you have. Normal means, in my case, because I have MS, that it is MS related. Abnormal means something else, like carpel-tunnel syndrome.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Neo,

I am currently going through this with EMG's as well. I was told that even if the EMG results are negative, if you are clinically positive (ie: the clinical examination the doctor does: *taps on elbow* "what did you feel?") then peripheral involvement cannot be ruled out. EMG's are not conclusive tests. this is why many doctors don't like EMG's, because the results can be confusing and not necessarily helpful.

I have clinical signs of impingement in my arms but my emg is negative. it did however HURT a lot to have it done. so my guess is that its both peripheral and central but thats my opinion.
        dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Like meeegun, I also have signs of impingement in one arm that wasn't detected on EMG/PNCV.

Of course, "normal" could always mean, well, normal, and the issues aren't neurological at all.

Comment

Working...
          X