Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Atrophy :(

Hello,
    Diagnosed nine years ago. Had my most recent MRI performed a week ago. Two days ago, my neurologist reviewed latest MRI results and compared it to my MRI results from five years ago. Looking at same images of brain from five years ago to present, she showed me that I have significant brain atrophy. I didn't have any five years ago and before she even told me, I could see all the black areas of my brain from the most recent image.

I knew brain atrophy was one of the symptoms of MS but this was the first time it's been brought up with me. It's one thing to hear about it but to actually see images of your brain showing the atrophy that wasn't there five years ago was devastating to me. I expect to see lesions but this was a shocker for me and unexpected. I have a lesion in my C2, which has been there since the beginning and is the most concerning for my doctors due to its possibility of causing disability/breathing issues but seeing the brain atrophy was truly frightening for me since I am only 41 years old.

Not really sure what I'm asking but just curious about others' experience with brain atrophy.

Thank you!

Half my Right brain

My 1st MRI said atrophy and one I had a couple of years ago showed about half my right brain is gone. Sort of scares me. Guess that may be one reason I am not as creative now, I have difficulty telling space/distance too.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Thank heavens I have MSW, a place where I can vent and so can you. Nobody gets hurt as we are all walking in the same shoes. I discuss M.S. amongst my family on a need to know basis (as in, I'm experiencing extreme vertigo and I'm going to faint if we don't get out of here). I know that healthy people don't get M.S. I didn't even "get it" when my own mother had M.S., but boy do I understand everything she went through these days! Hang in there and never apologize for being sick. We all know where you are coming from.
      Tawanda

Comment

As an MRI technologist, I've seen a lot of brain atrophy in all sorts of patients. Very often, depending on what images you're looking at, it's not really as advanced as it appears to be. Moreover, from what I've observed, the atrophy doesn't necessarily have any impact on cognitive abilities (I'm not sure what you meant by "black areas").

Just an observation...you should discuss with your neurologist. My sense is that she will downplay its importance.

rex

Comment

I bet she will!

I know people can manage very well with literally only a half a brain, but it still scares me to death.

It's one of many reasons I won't look at my MRI pictures.

I know our brain shrinks as we age, MS or not, but "Oh good news, I've got brain atrophy", is not something anyone ever says.
          Ever.

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies.

Rex, the only reason I posted this was because my neurologist went out of her way to show me the images of my brain atrophy and to heavily emphasize the fact that I have "significant" brain atrophy compared to five years ago.
            I would have never known if it were not for her showing me and making that the main focus of my visit.

You say you don't know what I'm talking about when I mention the black areas shown on the images. The black areas were more than visually obvious and as pointed out by my neurologist, the black areas show the brain atrophy, where my brain should be but is no longer there. I do have some cognitive issues and as my neurologist explained, this very well is probably the cause. Word finding, short term memory, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Tara9 View Post
              Thank you so much for your replies.

Rex, the only reason I posted this was because my neurologist went out of her way to show me the images of my brain atrophy and to heavily emphasize the fact that I have "significant" brain atrophy compared to five years ago.
              I would have never known if it were not for her showing me and making that the main focus of my visit.

You say you don't know what I'm talking about when I mention the black areas shown on the images. The black areas were more than visually obvious and as pointed out by my neurologist, the black areas show the brain atrophy, where my brain should be but is no longer there. I do have some cognitive issues and as my neurologist explained, this very well is probably the cause. Word finding, short term memory, etc...
              Hi Tara,

What I wrote was, I'm not sure what you meant by black areas, as most areas of the brain can look either light or dark (although seldom dark enough to be called "black"), depending upon the pulse sequence. But I'm not doubting that you have atrophy, if that's what your report says.

However, doctors do differ on the effect brain volume loss has on cognitive abilities. Also, I'm not sure that you can extrapolate future volume loss so easily, based upon what occurred over the past 5 years. Did your neurologist discuss her expectations for continued loss of brain volume? And do you have the radiology report of your scan?

rex

Comment

My apologies for being snarky, Rex, I'm just having one of those days.

Comment

Working...
                X