MS and other illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and other illness

I see lots of posts from people who suffer MS and as well, many other illnesses, some very serious. My heart goes out to all of you, MS is bad enough without adding other ailments.

If it weren't for my MS I would be a pretty healthy 46 year old. Does the compromised immune system leave you more vulnerable to other illness? I have been dx since 2005 and hardly ever get colds. We have 6 kids (2 oldest live on their own now) so it's not like colds and flus aren't brought home regularly.

Also, I don't get the flu shot either. Am I just lucky?
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Your immune system isn't compromised, just confused. It attacks you as well as the things it should. As a general rule, we aren't more or less prone to garden variety illness than anyone else. You'll hear anecdotal stories on both sides of the fence, but AI are just confused immune systems, not over or under active ones. Meds we take for the MS can effect the immune system and may muddy the water, but that's about it.

We, by virtue of having what is believed to be an AI, are more likely to have another. Also, due to physical issues MS can cause (bladder issues, swallowing trouble and diminished respiratory function) we can become prone to UTIs and pneumonia. This doesn't apply to everyone, naturally, but those who develop those effects from MS just need to be wary of the possible infections. As a general rule, we aren't more or less prone to garden variety illness than anyone else.

That said, an infection or virus can not only cause pseudo-exacerbation, but can cause real ones,too. So while we aren't more vulnerable to illness, we have the slight added risk of illness triggering a relapse on top of whatever ickiness it causes normally.

Comment

They say misery company.........

AutoImmune disease love to gather like a flock of birds, IMO.

Stats support the AI risks, having one increases the odds of having more AI issues. I have diabetes, a much more demanding 24/7 issue, a thyroid issue and psoriasis yet another AI disease. My NORMAL day calls for 5 insulin shots a day and ahve to calculate or pay attention to everything I eat and when, and test to adjust my insulin as needed, morning noon and night.

I just have to keep adapting to whatever comes my way and keep on keeping on, I have no option. I just do NOT let any of my AI-lottery winnings stop me. Hey its the ONLY lottery I ever won!

Gomer

Comment

Working...
      X