MS related Fatigue or Depression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS related Fatigue or Depression?

It's been a long time since I posted so I will give some background.

I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago and I have thankfully done PHENOMENAL! I had minor diplopia and clumsiness at the time of my diagnosis which has entirely resolved. I even ran 2 half marathons last year.

I became pregnant with my first child 2 months ago, I miscarried 2 weeks ago. While lying at the couch staring at the wall this weekend, I realized not only did I feel completely exhausted, I had felt this way for a few months. Sure, I am grieving a little over the miscarriage, but I feel like I have come to terms with that.

This brings me to my question....What is my problem? I tend to think NOTHING could be due to MS (I am in a little bit of denial I have it despite the MRI's and spinal tap). Could it be depression? I checked a blood count and I am not anemic.

The kicker is this, I had an old sample of Nuvigil from 2010 and I decided to take one yesterday. I felt great. I had energy to get up and will to do things that I haven't felt in ages. It made me realize what I have been missing out on, living.

So, do I call my neurologist for a script for Nuvigil, or do I call my PCP to see if he thinks I am depressed?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

** Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

My pcp gives me anti depression medication and my neurologist gives me Projovil. I have been on depression medication for 10 years. I just feel so tired and exhausted all of the time. MS attributes to a lot of other things. Good Luck!!!!

Comment

Oh, honey, I am so sorry to hear of your loss!

I had terrible fatigue, and it turned out to be depression. Once I treated it, my energy came back. Of course, every person is different, but telling the difference between depression fatigue and MS fatigue, at least in the early stages, is hard. Heck, it could even be both.

Why not call both doctors and get their perspectives as to which is most likely, which to treat first, etc.?

xoxo

Comment

I understand!

I've been feeling the same way recently and started Prozac. It's helped with my mood swings and a little with energy. My doctor thinks most people with MS could use antidepressants, considering that the brain chemistry is off due to the disease. I've been on Prozac before and know it works for me.
        I had 2 miscarriages myself and can say that your hormones may also be effecting your mood and energy. It took me about a month after each to feel physically better.

Comment

First Stop OB/GYN

I am sorry about your miscarriage. I had two myself.

I grieved slightly, sort of what you are describing with my first. But family members noticed me being depressed and "not quite right".

Bottomline: I am with CougarMama. My hormones were all wacky....I was a little but farther along than you, 2nd trimester, but that was causing my problems, and that was also pre-MS. You might want to check with your OB/GYN to rule out messed up hormones first.

Katie

Comment

You've good reason to be feeling depressed. Miscarriage is truly awful. And that's come on top of having MS.

I think it's fair enough to feel depressed under your circumstances. Give yourself time to grieve.

If you don't start feeling better after a bit, go and get some antidepressants or sleeping tablets or Nuvigil (don't know what that is, will google it later) but time, great healer, all the cliches etc.

They're cliches because they're probably true.

All the best.

Comment

I'm so sorry, I still feel sad when I think of the miscarrage I had almost 40yrs.ago.( long story),but I have 3 healthy grown children & 8 G'kids.
              I have been depressed to the point of being put on suiside watch., due to events in my life combined w/ a flair,but a wonderful therapist combined w/ Effexor has has brought me around.It's trite but true Time helps,just give yourself time. Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Working...
              X