support animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

support animal?

does anyone have one or looked into having one? I am trying to get one and could use any information that pertains to having one, especially information that is specific to california. in particular, how does it work bringing the dog home? it seems that as long as you have the proper documentation (prescription letter from your doctor) that states how the animal provides comfort and therefore helps you manage your difficulties in a major life function (this is different than a service animal), then the burden is on the landlord to show that you having one creates an undue hardship or poses an immediate safety threat. does anyone know if this is correct?
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Hi Meegun--

I used to live in California...up in your neck of the woods. I have looked at this too.

There are two types of dogs, Service Dog and Companion Animal.

There are actually lots of articles on the internet on this just Google "Service Dog and Companion Dog".

Service Dogs are Federally Regulated under ADA. And my understanding is that they are specifically trained (by a licensed professional) and they provide the owner some sort of assistance, such as help walking, picking up things off the floor etc... Service Dogs can not be denied access anywhere and they are allowed to fly on the airlines for free, in the cabin.

Companion Dogs are not usually trained except in basic obedience , and are certified by a vet through your doctor. They can also be certified through a professional agency. Important thing here is to ensure they are certified. They are not Federally regulated, but a lot of States do recognized the need and purpose of Companion Dogs. Companion dogs can be any breed and their sole purpose is "companionship". For example, for a person that is extremely depressed, a companion dog might be part of their therapy. I have known airlines that fly companion dogs for free, but forget about trying to get them into restaurants. But a lot of establishments will allow companion animals (within reason).

Sounds like you are trying to get a Companion Animal. Your landlord might not be obliged to accept a Companion Animal if they have a no pets policy, but they would have to accept a Service Animal...depending on local or State laws.

If it is a Companion Animal you seek, I would first talk to the landlord (in confidence), explain the situation and get them on board first. Your landlord also is probably pretty familiar with the laws and would not want to do anything that would result in a lawsuit. Lots of sweet sugar goes a long way in dealing with landlords.

I will say California (with the exception of SF, which is where you are at) is usually very liberal in their policies in animal matters.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck--Katie

Comment

I would contact the Housing Department in the City. They have the most direct power over landlord tenant issues. San Francisco is a dog lovers haven so I wouldn't be surprised if you go the green light.

Comment

Balance dog!

I recently read that "balance dogs" are now considered Service Dogs. A service dog has the right to go anywhere, and I believe the landlord cannot deny it. A companion dog can be denied. I think....

Call your local office of disabilities.

Also, what about training a dog like this? It can be very expensive. You could call your local seeing eye dog foundation, and ask them some questions as well.

I am working on my dog to be a balance dog---half the time it works, half the time, he will tip me over...

Comment

Working...
        X