RELAPSING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RELAPSING

HOW CAN YOU TELL YOU ARE HAVING A RELAPSE OR JUST NOT FEELING WELL, BAD DAY, OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE?

i NEVER KNOW IF I SHOULD CALL NEURO OR JUST WAIT UNTIL IT EITHER GOES AWAY OR BECOMES SO SEVERE THAT IT STOPS ALL NORMAL FUNCTIONING. AT WHAT POINT DO YOU CONSIDER A CHANGE IN SYMPTOMS A RELAPSE?

i WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS.

THANKS.
    LISA

If you didn't know you have MS, would you call a dr? If the answer is yes, then do it.

Steroids first, another MRI later.

I remain fascinated at the availability of neurologists in the US. Here they won't answer questions unless you make an appointment and are sitting in front of them. Or you're in hospital in a city, and they're available.

Comment

Sometimes you don't know...depending on the symptoms.

My neuro has same day appointments for their MS patients with relapses (or potential relapses).

I think everyone is different, but my personal rule of thumb is I wait at least 24-hours. If after 24 hours, it is affecting my walking or if it involves severe vertigo, I call the neuro. If not, I wait for 72-hours to see if everything will resolve on its own.

Only exception to my current rule would be ON or eyesight problems. I would be at the doctor (weekday) or emergency room (weekend) the minute after it happened. I freak out when it comes to my eyes.

That is just my "rule-of thumb" and how I handle flares/relapses. I think everyone will be different, and if you have that "gut" feeling something is seriously wrong, it is always best to go get it checked out.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

I agree

I agree with Katie, if it effects your eyes or walking I always call immediately. That's my rule of thumb. In my mind I am always thinking, are the steroids worth it for this problem? That usually makes the decision for me.

Comment

I agree, If it's eyes or severly worse than call your neuro.
          But bad days do happen & if you can wait & see if tomorrow is better fine.
          I have a great family & if I say I'm having a bad day,walking is not good,or just severly tired,they ask how they can help.
          I'm sorry that is just how this MonSter is, keep us posted,God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Thanks all! I used your rule of thumb and held off a couple days and it all turned into some kind of virus ..... stayed in bed and slept for 3 days and am feeling much better. Thanks again for all your help. It is great to have people to talk to that can relate.

Comment

Working...
            X