What are your symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your symptoms?

Hi-I'm a newly diagnosed patient- I'm wondering what others experience as far their symptoms go and how often they experience them. Thanks!

I'm also newly diagnosed and to the best of my knowledge I've only had one exacerbation. My symptoms were extreme tingling and numbness over most all of my left side, arm and leg. I could barely control my left leg and it was extremely weak. I had just gotten over a case of the shingles and my symptoms were chalked up to the shingles. It took three months to get a spinal MRI approved and I was diagnosed the day after the MRI. I had two lesions in my cervical spine and near total lesion coverage of my thoracic spine. I started IV steroids after my brain MRI also found lesions. I still have alot of tingling in my left leg and along my spine. I think I've just gotten used to the feeling of "bugs" crawling under my skin!
    Best of luck to you!
    Julie
    DX 11/9/11
    Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

I'm 48 and newly dx as well (within the past 6 months). I've only had one exaserbation that led to my dx. That was numbness that started near my rt ear and spread to the whole right side of my face, down into my right hand, thigh and foot. At first, I thought it was an allergic reaction to ear drops for an ear infection. When it spread I called my regular doctor who sent me to the ER for evaluation that led to the CIS dx. The symptoms lasted for approximately 7 days at the end of last June then went away completely.

The only other symptoms are cognitive ones....memory, organization, attention to task...and I'm not sure whether it's the MS or ADD.

I just started on Vyvanse for my cognitive symptoms and will be starting Copaxone within the next week or so.

Comment

Hi Im new to all this myself.... sort of. Ive has 3 attacks so far that I can remember since my diagnosis. Right now I have vision problems in my left eye, muscle fatigue (severe) and worst of all no control over my bodily functions. This current attack has lasted about 3 and a half months straight and I hate wearing diapers. However I have no other choice right now.

Comment

Hi Karina and welcome,

That question is probably easier for newly diagnosed MSers.

I've been diagnosed for quite a few years, and have lots of symptoms but you adapt to symptoms, get symptomatic meds, therapies or aids to help and keep on keeping on.

In fact, I try not to keep an itemization of my symptoms because on paper it looks more daunting than it is dealing with it. It's my life and so I live it, best I can.

I had someone ask me recently what exactly were my problems (some are visible, some aren't) and my best answer when someone asks something like that is "Well, nothing works quite right." And that's the truth.

Fortunately it took years for that to happen, and everybody's so different, it's really hard to know what you'll be dealing with and when. Just hope for an easy course of the disease and know you'll adapt if that's not what's in the cards.

Comment

Hi there,

I'm a newbie too... MS was put on the table as possible last June, but took til November for the final Dx.

I have all spinal lesions, so no cognitive involvement for me. Do have the numbness, tingling and mild spasms. The fatigue seems to come and go. It was a big problem for about a week when the cold weather moved in, but I've bounced back.

My left arm and hand is pretty much a buzzing sensation all the time and numbness on some parts. My hands are usually kinda stiff when I wake up.

Weird thing is, much like rdmc noted, I really don't think about it so much. Tho my left arm and hand is always involved, I really don't notice it much. Its only when I need to give a report on how I'm feeling to a doctor, that I make myself focus on how things feel. I jokingly call the arm and hand issue my new 'normal'...

I find that how I feel is directly related to what I do and what I eat. But, life goes on and tho its not great, I find that on a so-so day (like today), if I just push myself thru the stiff feeling and get moving, I still get done what needs to be accomplished. I woke up feeling crampy and stiff all over, but needed to do a few chores, just kinda pushed thru and found my hands loosened up and being focused on something I did not notice the stiffness as much. After a couple hours, I decided it was a good time for a break, made a cup of tea and here I am babbling online

I hope you are dealing well with things... one piece of advice that someone very wonderful on this forum gave me during a chat one day, was not to let MS define me... I'm still me, and I need to live my life and just make small adjustments when needed.

Good luck and keep posting!

Jen

Comment

I was DX in 08, Va has determined that I have had sx since mid to late 70s, My major sx are foot drop,walking in general, loss of balance, slight cognative issues and fatique, I have never had a "flair" as other people report them that I can remember. I more or less have to think about it daily otherwise I would fall more than I do.

As someone else said I don't let it control my life, I stay active as possible and find the more exercise I get the better. Yes I have adapted to my sx but have had them so long it isn't anything major in my mind and always figured I would have to change my habits when I reached my age anyway. Yes some days are better than others and on those good days I push a little harder.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Agree with rdmc. List too long and late in the day for most newbies to need worry about just yet.

Nothing quite works right - that's it, exactly.

Comment

mine began 1/29/12

massive ear and jaw pain, tickling, itchy feeling (trigeminal Neuralgia); numbness on half right side of head, neck shoulder, entire arm, fingers. Weakness on same side. Vertigo (feeling like earth is quaking), imbalance, walking problems. Massive fatigue.

My very first exacerbation and it's a doozy. Very high profile, everyone at work noticed. So far, this is not a 'keep it to yourself condition', LOL!
                  Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I have tremors, hand/leg weakness, vertigo/dizziness, involuntary movements, slurred speech, cognitive issues, muscle and joint pain, heat intolerance, and fatigue.

Best wishes to you!! And with new symptoms, go see your doc to figure out what to do about it!

Comment

Hi Welcome, I've been DX now for 11yrs. It's all on my right side,I can't lift my leg or use my hand & arm much.
                      I've had 3 major exaserbations( after dx),the worst one caused by an Ecoli infection(long story) I use a Rollator around the house, can't climb stairs no strength, & a wheelchair when out. I have tingleing & spaseums I take 2 rx. for that & it helpes. I also have severe bladder issues,I have a "neurogenic bladder" resulting in having to self cath several times a day.
                      I am Blessed w/ wonderful Dr.'s who talk w/each other to plan my treatment,I've been on Rebif from the start & have had the same Neuro who Dx. me.
                      I hope I didn't scare you,everyone is so different,this MonSter affects each person in thier own special way.
                      Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

My symptoms are primarily sensory, with numbness, vibrations, tingling, and L'Hermittes sign, along with some balance issues. My stamina for walking/exercise isn't what it used to be, and fluctuates. My symptoms fluctuate, worse one day, better the next. Sometimes I have had pain too, although it generally only lasts a few days, and is mild. Sometimes my leg(s) or arm(s) feel weaker than normal. Sometimes I feel like I have a wet piece of paper on the bottom of my foot, or a band around a toe or my foot. Just some transient strange sensory symptoms.

I have had MS for 32 years, although I was only really diagnosed 2 years ago. My first exacerbation was when I was 24, and then the next one was when I was 54. I can see a lot of varying symptoms I did have thru the years, but was unaware everyone didn't have them, or attributed it to a disk problem in my neck.

Comment

Working...
                        X