Steroids recently but still bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroids recently but still bad

Ok, since I'm new to this, I was treated for a severe exacerbation in early December with iv steroids. They seemed to help for maybe 4 days and I keep getting worse and worse by the day now. I posted recently about medication changes going on with me, but I'm wondering how often these steroid treatments can be done or if there are other options as I'm so miserable that I can't even stand to hardly move.
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Steroids didn't help me much, so they don't work for everyone.

If you are going to get them, you have to act fast, as they only work within a certain window - I think it's 6 weeks, but can't remember.

Bear in mind they only speed healing that will take place anyway.

I think most important is how many infusions you had in a year. I had 5 and then 2 more during my last exacerbation. I stopped myself, realizing they were making making me feel bad.

And I never had a metal taste.

Ask your Neurologist.

Comment

I was told that the dose of IV steroids that I get when I've needed them (1,000 mg for 5 days) stays in my body for up to 12 months.

Also, I've always had an oral dose to taper off; you didn't mention if your doc has you doing this.

Not sure how many you can have in a year but 1 year I had 3. Long term, they did help a lot but it did take a while to realize it.
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Depends I think

My very first Neuro didn't say anything about steriods...he was my Neuro for all of 10seconds though My hubby and I don't have very many nice things to say about him. LOL

My Favorite Neuro I saw about 2 wks after #1 and she was very upset that I hadn't had any steroids yet. She said if she had seen me 2wks ago she would've admitted me. Ummm WTH I thought. She started me asap and said that I might get the "high" right away but it could take my a month to feel "right" again. I had 5 or 6 treatments in a 10month time frame. The only time I had a taper off the steroids was that fist time.

There was a few times when after a few days I called her back and said I don't feel any better or different. She would always respond with give it time. Up to a month.

So I think it depends on your Neuro and what they feel works for there MS patients.

isamadjul
        (allyson)
        DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Steroids

He is doing another round of steroids starting Monday for 4 days this time instead of 3 and not making me go to the hospital, but doing them in office. Thank you all for listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
            I was told that the dose of IV steroids that I get when I've needed them (1,000 mg for 5 days) stays in my body for up to 12 months.
            The half-life of methylprednisolone is 18 to 36 hours. It isn't possible for a drug that metabolizes in 3 days to stay in the body for 12 months. Whoever said that couldn't have been a physician or pharmacist.

This short half-life is also why it isn't true that steroids take weeks to "kick in." They do their job and leave the body within days. There can be a time lapse before improvement is noticed because that's how long it takes for the body to start healing after the steroids have done their job.

Comment

The 1st. I had steroids they didn't work so my neuro added
              Novantrone,I know you get sick on Chemo meds,but I got sick smelling a can of tuna I just opened,no not just sick,(laying on B'room floor not even making potty)
              That was 6yrs.ago to this day I can't even go past the seafood counter in supermarket.We are an Italian family & many of our holliday meals revolve around seafood.I have to go into my room & wait untill the meal is over,so sad.
              My neuro called the company that makes Novantrone & the CDC for any help.I'm the 1st.case with that reaction they ever heard of,so now I'm famos LOL! But after all that, the next round of steroids worked great. I'm on Rebif & have been for 11yrs.only 2 flairs,one caused by a major Ecoli infection. keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Relapse

Im officially in another relapse. I have another MRI tomorrow, steroids started today and betaseron yesterday. Steroids thru Thursday and hopefully baclofen started then. Will keep you posted. It's so nice to talk to people who understand.

Comment

Working...
                X