New here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here.

My husband is 31 years old. we have a 2 year old son. they are both the world to me. on 11-11-11 my husband was diagnosed with RRMS with symptoms of tingling in his left hand and foot and lesions found on his MRI. His father has MS so an MRI was ordered almost immediately. his copaxone injections started soon after that.

last thursday i woke up to the sound of my husband dry heaving at 3am. he continued to be sick every half hour since that time and around 2pm when he was developing symptoms of vertigo and double vision. i brought him into the ER convinced it was from dehydration. we just thought he had contracted a stomach virus that has been going around. there was a headache that was tied in with the nausea and vomiting so with his MS diagnoses they did another MRI. there were two new lesions towards the back of his brain. it's January and he was diagnosed in November and there are already new lesions?!?!? the one good bit of news the lesions that gave him his original diagnosis decreased in size. (didn't know that could happen)

They admitted him into the hospital Friday night and started a three day steroid infusion. By the next day his double vision was slowly getting closer together but his balance was still horribly off. Sunday his vision seemed the same and his balance better. Monday he was released still with his double vision, off balance and oral steroid prescription. Today is Wednesday and his vision is still somewhat the same but once again his balance and walking is getting better and better everyday. This is such a hard hit.

We are still getting used to the diagnosis and now this happens. The neurologist said that it takes about 3 full months for the copaxone to take effect but could it possibly be working if the other lesions are smaller? Is this considered a relapse?!?!? Will he be going through these episodes this severely for the rest of his life? when he was diagnosed the doctor said that with treatment and exercise he could go 10 years from now without even a sign of MS and now this??? Two months after his diagnosis? That almost killed any positive energy that I had! And what if he finishes the oral steroids and he is still seeing double and leaning to the left. Will he be this way permanently or does this pass once the inflammation of the lesions goes away?

This is all so new to me...even though I have seen it take his fathers mobility over the 12 years we have been together. I know that my husband will not take this laying down. He is such a fighter but its so incredibly difficult to cope with right now. I'm angry that this had to happen to him because he is such a wonderful man. I'm scared at what this holds for our future. I'm depressed that he isn't 100% better after the steroid infusions. I'm exhausted because I am taking care of him, my two year old now (when we always split duties:daycare pickup, bath time, feeding, diaper changes) and Im working full time. I'm sorry if I'm blabbing. I just want be as strong as possible for him and educated with this disease, the best way I can get that is communicating with all of you. Thank you in advance for any help and support you can provide.

Hugs to you Yogamama, I'm sorry for what you & DH are going through right now.

Steroids take time to work. Don't be surprised if his sx aren't resolved when he finishes the oral pack. It make take another week or two or more, hang in there! And some sx may end up being permanent. Unfortunately that's how this MonSter operates

Others who are more experienced than I will be along soon to address your other questions. Just remember, we are always here for you!
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by yogamama78 View Post
      We are still getting used to the diagnosis and now this happens. The neurologist said that it takes about 3 full months for the copaxone to take effect but could it possibly be working if the other lesions are smaller? Is this considered a relapse?!?!? Will he be going through these episodes this severely for the rest of his life? when he was diagnosed the doctor said that with treatment and exercise he could go 10 years from now without even a sign of MS and now this??? Two months after his diagnosis? That almost killed any positive energy that I had! And what if he finishes the oral steroids and he is still seeing double and leaning to the left. Will he be this way permanently or does this pass once the inflammation of the lesions goes away?
      I've never done the heavy steroids, but I've talked with my neuro a lot about the progress of MS and DMDs (particularly Copaxone), and here's what I've learned...

The good news is that pretty much any nerve damage has some chance of being repaired by your own body for up to two years after the damage. Copaxone is believed (but definitely not proven) to improve the chances for that kind of repair once a person has been on it for 'a while' (I've heard anything from a few months to a year).

The bad news is that the repair process doesn't prevent new lesions, so it's safe to assume your husband is having a relapse. I'll leave it to others here to talk about what to expect after the steroids.

Unfortunately, the numbers you see attached to claims about the progress of MS and effectiveness of treatments are only averages (unless you're really digging into the statistics). Some people will do better than average and some will do worse, and the range of difference can be huge.

I'm sure it's shocking and extremely disappointing that he's relapsing so soon after DX, but he could still go 10 or more years before his next relapse. No one can say for sure...

Best of luck,
      Mark
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Ive had MS for 20 yrs now. Ive had tiny relapses over the years like tingling in the hands or small spasms,nothing worthe going to the doctor for. Then, this past October, I had the worst relapse ever. Within 3 weeks I had 2 relapses. I now cannot walk without a walker and need a seat in the shower so I dont fall. MS hits everyone differently. For me it took 20 years to change my life, for a friend of mine it took merely a few weeks. There is alot of information from NMSS online and your neuro should have info too. Its good your here and remember, everyone here was in your position, or your husbands, at one time.

Comment

First of all, welcome to the boards. I have to say this is the best place to be for MS. The people here are knowledgable, caring, sympathetic and wonderful. Even when there is a disagreement, people are usually respectful and you can see both sides. It can give you a different perspective on things.

Secondly, I am sorry to hear that your husband has MS. I was diagnosed myself at age 39 two years ago. It was a complete shocker as no one in the family has MS.

Third, I will say that MS is unpredictable and each patient is unique. Different symptoms/combination of symptoms and different meds work for different people. There is no way that anyone (even the neuro) can predict what the course of your husband's MS will be. That took me a long time to get past - the unpredictability of it all.

I spent a whole year reading and researching everything I could about MS so that I could be prepared for whatever might come around the bend. Now, I can deal with things because I've educated myself.

Good luck on your journey. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

Working...
          X