Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric like jabs in spine

Hi all,

Been here before. Optic neuritis, Issues with not seeing reds and greens (constant), fatigue (most of the time), short term memory loss, finding the right words to say, restless leg every night, jabbing pains in the feet(occasionally) and on my upper lip, balance issues at times. Blood work came back normal this time. Before iron was low and was anemic. Eat healthy, drink alot of water.

Now I am getting electric like jabs in my middle spine(near bra line) almost feels like a tens unit on me. I see the Neurologist tomorrow. Follow up appt. My pcp wants me to get a LP. Never had this before and want to ask the neuro if this will shed any light on what is wrong with me. Haven't felt myself since the Optic Neuritis(April 2011). What will this show if I get a LP? Thanks
    STR

A lumbar puncture is to see if there are ogliclonal bands in your spinal fluid which means you have lost integrity in your blood/brain barrier.

Have you had an MRI yet or been diagnosed? There are a few conditions that cause o-bands in your spinal fluid, MS being one of them. Most neuros rule out other conditions before an MS diagnosis.

Good luck and ask lots of question! And it really isn't bad getting an LP, mine was done in seconds and then I just had to lay down the rest of the day to help prevent spinal headache.
    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Electric Like Jabs in my spine

Hi Muse,
      Thank you for your reply. I had an MRI (Apr 2011)but they were not able to finish the test because I have braces on my teeth and the metal interfered with the image. What they could see of my brain there were no lesions. The optic nerve was blocked though. Opthamologist/neuro said he wanted to wait until the braces came off to perform another MRI. He felt at the time (Apr 2011) that the ON might go away. And that I had no other symptoms at the time. Braces come off in Dec 2012.

Fast forward, I now seem to have other things going on as I said previously. He did bring up possible MS. So did my Neurologist who specializes in MS. This is who I am seeing tomorrow for the follow-up. No meds at this time. Seeing what he thinks.
      STR

Comment

There are so many things that can mimic MS. It's a good sign that your limited MRI showed no lesions. Now I understand why they jumped right to LP. The LP should help to settle your worries one way or another, so that is a good thing.

The LP felt "weird" but not really painful for me. If you are uncomfortable with it you can ask for a radiology assisted LP so that they can see where to actually guide the needle. My neuro was able to do it by feel no problem. Good luck!
        I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Working...
        X