follow up from hospital basically useless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

follow up from hospital basically useless

So, I went to my follow-up appt. to see my pcp after being in the hospital last week. Apparently, it is simply "protocol" or something, b/c my pcp is the one who was available to admit me and do rounds to check on me. I came in loaded with questions, but she could basically just answer a few.

She did tell me that my thyroid level that was low was the second thing they look at: FT4? And, I was mistaken in thinking she'd checked my thyroid in October or November; she only checks it once a year and it was previously checked in August (actually was a little bit lower than usual, then). She also told me that my iron was most likely low b/c when autoimmune disorders are triggered, the iron count can become low as the body tries to "fight" off what's not really there.

Also asked about help with the night sweats or if I should check to see if I'm transitioning to early menopause. She told me that things should get better once the thyroid medication is taking effect. She was fine with me seeing an endocronologist, but told me that it would be awhile before I'd get in...and that is IF they think it's serious enough for me to go there. Actually quite a relief, b/c I am thinking that we caught it early and it was just one more thing added to my flare.

The things I wanted to ask her about: advice on getting around the house, managing to just go day by day, etc. ...she told me that my neuro was the best one to help me with that. Wondered about the idea of seeing if I can get in to see him a little sooner, but I see him on the 6th. Not as far off as it seems, I guess. Had hoped to see him before the power chair eval., but I'll hang in there. Perhaps it will be helpful to see my PT next week.

For a child hypochondriac, I REALLY hate being sick; esp. when it lasts so long.

Sounds like to me, that you are not satisfied and left confused as to the course of action. Or maybe I am left confused.

But I think your biggest concern is daily living activities. Getting your thyroid working efficiently is going to help you feel better too, including hormornally, with the sweats etc.

Its not an easy case..and sorry you have to go through all this. I will look forward to seeing your future posts. Hopefully, with better thyroid/iron levels up to par, you'll feel much better.

Hugs, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

rambling on

Jan,
      Yeah, I even confused myself in that post.

I basically was rambling/venting about how slowly recovery is going and how I mistakenly thought that my follow-up visit would either provide more information or ... something. I've just been very discouraged to see that, even after a stay in the hospital, I'm still very weak and unable to do much of anything. Plus, now that I'm home, it's even more difficult b/c of our home being a split level.

I'm sure a good deal of my frustration is "boosted" by the prednisone taper and trying to adjust to the Synthroid. That doesn't make my dh feel much better after I turned into "witchy wife" last night (though I did warn him he should read the side effects and beware). Not a good idea to bring up genuine concerns about finances, my health, and our kids while on these meds.

What I told my dh was true; I AM scared b/c I don't know if/when I'll be able to build back up the strength for our stairs. If that remains an obstacle for me, it will be a very tough wait for us to go through any saving/selling/buying or building process. In my heart, I know God will provide strength as I need it. But, last night, I was too busy looking at the overwhelming picture of it all. My husband's laid-back manner just seemed to make it worse (not his fault, but I took it the wrong way).

So, just pray for us, ok? I'm concerned that he's overdoing things, he's concerned that my parents are overdoing things, and I guess we all need a measure of grace to see us through.

Comment

Oh hon, your post just tore at MY heart.. no wonder you are so scared. BUT try to remain in "today"..and not project too far into the tomorrows.. I know. I know.. its hard. Who am I to say to you.. sorry.

Remember. emotions are not right nor wrong.. and NOT expressing them is harmful. I get how your darling hubby being so calm makes it worse.. but good that he is there to balance out the fears.

Whoaa..take a B R E A T H ...and use your faith to help you now. ITs a given that WE will be here for you too.

Now I will return to practicing what I preach ... LOL

Hugs my huggable one~ Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
        X