numbness in hand/hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbness in hand/hands

I have this numbness in my rt hand that increases as I use that hand. I can still use the hand, but I have to be totally concentrated on what I am doing with that hand.

For example, I was riding my husband's not-so-well broke horse and I was enjoying the ride until he went to bucking. I lost concentration and the reins just slid out of my hand. It still felt like I was holding them, but they were on the ground totally useless to me. I survived, didn't get thrown (by pure luck), and re-acquired the reins. I am a little sore, a lot bruised, and looking for me a new horse.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Where you felt like you were holding something but it had fell out of your hands.
    All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

I've had numbness in my hands as an MS sx, but I also had numb hands when I had carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal Tunnel Release surgery fixed it right up. Bu before the surgery I could only hold a pencil for 10 seconds or so. So I'd rule that out before assuming it's MS (which is so easy to do, since MS seems to affect everything at one time or another).
    Dx'd on 10-17-11
    Avonex since 10/28/11 - Tysabri since 1-26-12 - 18 doses, then Betaseron since 9/4/13
    Don’t be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you’ve been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what? – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Book 7

Comment

I've had nerve pain in both hands/arms. It would wake me up for hours, in tears the pain was so intense, and I have a pretty high pain threshold. I woke up with rt arm paralysis and the burning-cold pain in both arms/hands.

I described the paralysis as though my arm transformed into a tree limb, the complete and total lack of feeling, sensation and function. The paralysis was intermitent. The most intense pain was constant for a couple of years.

I still have constant upper arm pain and it is always cold to the touch. I can't bike ride because my arms don't bare weight without paralysis and intense pain.

take care and I hope your sx's improve.

Comment

Exactly!

I never connected the nerve pain with the numbness. I wake up at night and it feels like my rt. hand is at the bottom of an ice chest. Totally freezing! It hurts so bad, but there doesn't seem to be anything that will help.
        I don't want to give up riding because of my hand not working right. I have changed from split reins to barrel racing reins on my horse. I have also sworn off riding my dh's horse.
        I am seeing my neuro next week and I am going to try to explain what is going on. I wish there was something he could do to help this.

Comment

sulphur kennel, I don't know if your sx's are carpal tunnel syndrome, something else, or MS related.

My c-spine MRI is clear, but my neuro assured me it's lesion/s, based on sx's and clinical exam.

I hope this helps, and definately check with your MS neuro.

Comment

msw

My c-spine has several lesions but has had them since I was diagnosed 6 years ago.I had a new MRI 3 months ago with little change. I have had carpal tunnel many years ago, and this does not feel the same as that did. I am definitely going to check with my neuro.
            Thanks for reading my post.

Comment

Since my flair of 2007, I have a partial numbness, but no pain, in part of my left hand, never went away. It relates to a C5-C6 lesion. (bad real-estate area to have spinal lesions).

I had carpel tunnel in my right hand decades ago. It's long gone now but it was a problem while I had it. I would grab a door handle and it but no grip and could not open the door.

Mowing grass was also a problem as the engine vibrations would aggravate my carpel tunnel.

Good luck and hope you are able to get it resolved properly and promptly.

Gomer

Comment

Wow, finally people with my symptoms. My lesions are on 5 and 6. I have had my right arm and hand numb since my diagnosis 1 1/2 yrs ago. My right hand is numb, thank god I am left-handed. I also have that issue where I think I am holding something but I am not anymore, or I think I picked something up but I did not.

I do notice that if I hold something in the palm of my hand and curl my fingers around it I can control it better. My fingers have no feeling and that is where I drop most of my stuff from. But if I hold the handle of a bag in the palm of my hand I have better control. Maybe that is something you can try.

Comment

hmmm... i have many cervical lesions from the cervicomedullary junction on down. around c4 down to c7 i have multiple lesions on the spinal cord but they are long and skinny. i haven't been dx'd very long so i am trying to find the rhyme and reason to all of this. it seems that when i am very fatigued i get the hand/arm numbness and tingling.

recently, i developed complete numbness at the tip of my right middle finger. typing feels strange and i get nervous trimming my nails because i can't feel anything there. it has been like this almost 2 weeks.

i drop things often and also my g/f has told me that i grasp things strangely. i don't think my hand control is the greatest but i do still manage to do what is required of me in a day.
                  dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Working...
                  X