Bathroom renovation input ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom renovation input ?

Am looking into having some renovation done in my existing (very small bathroom) to enable better access.

- A sink area that allows me to access in my wheelchair (currently I have to try to lean forward since there is a cupboard below)

- Have a tub shower with a transfer chair - but still need to use my arms to lift my legs over the tub wall to get in/out

- Have a raised toilet seat - have heard can get a handicap type toliet that allow the lid to go down and eliminate the extra seat piece

Any ideas from experiences ? Additional helpful design/products or tips.

Currently browsing products online at home depot.

Thanks.

bathroom renovation

Get rid of the cabinet below the sink and keep the stuff somewhere else. Keep 1 roll of toilet paper somewhere in the bathroom where you can reach it
    We purchase a suction cup handle that we can attach to the tub. I am still figuring out where to place it.
    I also use this tub to wash my hair. We installed one of those shower heads that you can unhook. I have seen ones that slide up and down that kind would be better in your case.
    Good luck and keep looking for what you need.
    You might try googling 'handicap accessible' too.
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

I see easy access showers/tub for seniors n TV all the time. They have a water tight door, built in seat, (optional massage jets) and all sorts of features.

I would NEVER trust any suction cup grabber! (that's me tho)

There are plenty of sinks that are free standing in big box home improvement stores. I would visit the stores, and check them out in person to make sure the one you choose is right for YOU. Thye should have them on display so you could just roll right up and check them out.

Gomer

Comment

bluegiraffe, if you post in the "Occupational Therapy with Susan Dorne" section, I'm sure Susan will have some tips for you.

You could also have an Occupational Therapist come in and look at your bathroom and give you specific suggestions that would help you. I got some good tips from one this summer - for now and for later if I become even less mobile. Lots of advice about roll-in showers, and shower/commode chairs that you can also wheel over the toilet, to avoid having to transfer.

Comment

Love my 'Suction Cup' Handles. They only work on a Full Surround, never on Tile. With Tile you may pull the Tiles off of the wall. Looking towards the Future you may want to consider a Roll in Shower, that way your chair would be able to roll into the Shower, no Transfer.

Make sure the Door opens out, will possibly double the space in the Bathroom. Or put a Bi-fold Door on the Bathroom. Make sure the Doorway is wide enough for a Chair.

Lever Handles instead of Turn Knobs for the Faucets.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Yeah even i would suggest that remove the cabinet under the sink. Buy a special shower wheelchair and a hand held shower. Also you can install transfer bars on the sides of the commode. Install mirror at lower height. Make the doors wide and relocate the light switch.

Comment

We had the bathtub taken out and a shower installed. Love it, but a couple things I would do different. 1-The seat is too high at 20 inches. 18 would have been better. 2-the seat is too wide from the back at 20 inches. 15-16 would have been better. 3-the step to go in is too high at 4 inches. 1-2 would have been better. Just make sure to have a safe incline so the water drains quick. Gentle incline is important, as is non slip tile on the floor. Good Luck!

Comment

Wife and I re-did our bathroom last year. Did the shower bigger to accommodate possible future wheelchair, zero threshhold at the shower entry with a gentle slope down to a linear drain ($$$) which has a high drainage capacity, so water will not go out under the door.

Comment

Ijustcallit pointed out something that became a problem for me with a tub to shower conversion. The bench that was built in the end of the shower was a mistake. When seated on the bench I could not reach the shower controls.

We just remodeled that shower again, and removed the bench completely, as well as lowering the threshold. I bought a really nice heavy teak shower bench. It can be positioned closer to the controls for me and further back to allow more standing space for my husband.

Comment

Working...
                  X