Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolerate cold temps?

Hi everyone!

I have not been diagnosed, my current neurologist suspects MS but I am still going through testing. I have read repeatedly that people with MS do not do well with heat. I'm curious about the cold? We have had a mild winter so far with just a few really cold days. What I am finding is that I can no longer tolerate the cold. It actually causes my skin to hurt unlike it ever has. The other thing is that, when you get a cold draft & you feel that initial shiver that feels like it shoots through your body & your nerves sort of light up but it quickly passes, well for me, it lingers - the nerves feel like they are constantly being stimulated until I get warm. I also notice my symptoms get worse on the cold days. During the summer, after I first showed possible symptoms, there were a few days of bad heat where it reached 116 degrees. I don't recall my symptoms getting worse and my window AC was struggling so it got pretty warm inside.

Is this common for MS? I have read that a lot of people with fibro can't tolerate the cold but found very little about MS.

Thanks!
    Stephanie
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

for me I cannot tolerate the heat. I do better on cool days. If i'm exposed to cold temps I will shiver and the spasm of my MS get worse. It seems like I do best in a temp range from 55-75 degrees.

Comment

Everyone is different

Don't have any statistics at all but some have problems with cold. It seems to me more have problems with the heat.
      Maybe you are among the former
      Lucky you
      Anyway, don't worry about it everyone is slightly different in how we are affected.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

[QUOTE=04blackcobra;1341685]for me I cannot tolerate the heat. I do better on cool days. If i'm exposed to cold temps I will shiver and the spasm of my MS get worse. It seems like I do best in a temp range from 55-75 degrees.[/QUOTE

Me, exactly.

Comment

I don't do well in either extreme.
          Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

The heat makes me more fatigued, but doesn't really bother me too much. The cold is another story. If cold touches my skin it feels like needles. Like when you take a shower when you have a sunburn.
            Be kinder than necessary to people you meet....EVERYONE is fightng some kind of battle

Comment

I am cold-intolerant vs. heat intolerant. In fact I am going to be moving back South this year.

Sun and heat improve everything for me.

Katie

Comment

Originally posted by salamandertom View Post
                I don't do well in either extreme.
                I am with you!! Can't do either very well UGGGHH!
                Dx with RRMS :April 2007
                Meds: Copaxone

Comment

I tolerate heat like the normals.
                  Cold is another story and if my core temp gets too low I can get a mild form of seizure.

Comment

love the cold wear shorts and tshirts 365 a year even play in the snow like that, but always have been a cold weather person my daddy was an alligator

Comment

I can't tolerate either. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years before my MS diagnosis. Back then certain parts of my body would hurt in the cold. But now my legs locked up and they feel heavier. I still suffer more in the heat.
                      Take good care.
                      "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                      Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Love heat, brinng on 85-90!!! Hate cold, itt seems as though i'm cold till june, and it starts again in sept,
                        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                        volunteer
                        MS World
                        hunterd@msworld.org
                        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Westgrl,

With MS a person can be heat intolerant, cold intolerant or both.
                          Diagnosed 1984
                          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Good post! Everyone assumes I'm heat intolerant, but I haven't noticed it bothering me. I just hate being cold, always have! Although I don't notice worsening sx in the cold either, just don't like it. (as I sit here with my little portable heater running)
                            Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I'm both heat and cold intolerant 70-75 seems like the best temp for me

Comment

Working...
                              X