Treating TN pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treating TN pain

When TN acts up, and you run screaming in pain, what do you do (if any) to relieve the pain? Do pain pills help? Slamming your head against the wall? Or just wait and pray it goes away? thanks for your help

If slamming my head against the wall would help, I'd do it

I have meds that sometimes work, and sometimes don't. I have Lyrica, Baclofen (which is recommended by some nears to add to the regimen)' muslce relaxer (because the pain creates a one sided spasm problem for me)' and I have pain pills. And I start by trying one med and if that doesn't calm it down, I add another.

this morning I was having a bad bout so I started with Lyrica, waited awhile, and still in pain. Added some baclofen and a small dose of muscle relaxer....and a few hours later when I was still having trouble I took a pain pill. Right now it's there but tolerable. I'm allergic to neurontin and tegretol, and really don't do so well with Lyrica...but I take it when it's bad. some folks take the anti-convulsants on a day to day basis. (I would recommend writing down what meds you're taking and when because for me, the pain is so intense, I don't know if I'd remember what I took and when if I didn't write it down.)

I also use a heating pad against my face. I don't think that actually takes the pain away, but it does help with the spasm and is a distraction.

They say if you can't get control of the pain go to the ER...I've been on the verge a few times, but never done it because I can't imagine having tom endure the wait while in that kind of pain.

Comment

Tegretol is the drug of choice for TN. I was unable to take it, so I'm titrating up my gabapentin to find a comfortable level. I did go to the er once, and surprisingly, they took me in right away ahead of maybe a dozen people. I guess I looked really bad when I checked in.

Comment

TN?

okay, i'm stupid, what is TN?

Comment

Originally posted by ldwestmo View Post
          okay, i'm stupid, what is TN?
          Trigeminal Neuralgia. Severe pain, neurological in origin, on either side of the face.

Comment

My neuro prescribed Trileptal (almost exactly same as Tegretol, chemically). The way it is prescribed is to take it all the time so you always have a certain level in your system to protect/prevent pain. It helped me....but it gave me cloudy brain so I stopped taking it. Luckily for me, the TN has been not acting up. I suffer from migraines though and they think the two issues are connected. The trileptal didn't prevent my headaches, so I don't know.
            I will go back to this drug if I start having the zapping pains again.
            I hope you find relief!
            You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

Good question, seal!

@rdmc
              because the pain creates a one sided spasm problem for me
              wow, I am glad you mention this! I was having that (jaw and neck) and thought it was because I was in pain and clenching, but now think it was spasticity, and even now I still have a "tense" half of my face. (Like someone poured glue on my face and it hardened) At the time I had a (horribly expensive) mouth guard thingie made by my dentist... still nothing helped. Still I was always clenching and tensing my jaw and my neck was killing me.

@seal. I am so glad I have the neurontin. Even though I hate taking it every day (4x 300 mgs) it is saving my life. I dont want to know what things would be like for me without it.
              I started out with 2x 300 mgs but couldnt keep it there. Also it takes a a couple of days to really get into your system (for the full effect, a few weeks) and when I take it (say in the morning) I have to be clear about the fact that it's gonna need about 1,5 hours before I get relief. This is not a fast acting medication for acute pain.
              If you are rocking back and forth crying in pain your gonna want something else...
              I am shopping for other options right now, but I am afraid of the side effects. (I dont want to become a zombie!)

@Sequoia
              some lucky souls get it on both sides of the face. (yay me.)

Be well all!
              *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Working...
              X