Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migraines and antidepressant meds

Hi,
    I'm wondering if any of you suffer from migraines and are also being treated for depression? I get migraines up to twice a week when it's at it's worst (and sometimes I am migraine free for a few weeks at a time). I have been on Relpax for about 8 years. Anyway, a few years back I was put on Prozac and then had to stop taking it b/c you aren't supposed to mix SSRI's with elitriptans. And the doctor couldn't seem to find anything compatible, so I just quit with the antidepressants. Fast forward...just saw a new psychiatrist a week ago and he prescribed Zoloft. He says I can take both drugs together. Started the Zoloft. Got a headache on the third day, and because I'm paranoid about drug interactions, I double checked and it said "serious interaction"...for the same reasons of the Prozac. ??

Also, my neuro some months back prescribed me a beta blocker to try out for the headaches and then I found out it was the ONE drug I can't have on Gylenia! And the neuro is the one prescribing that too...you would think he would have known about that.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone out there has depression and migraines and what your doctor prescribes for the two issues.

Thanks!
    Missyb
    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

I am taking Wellbutrin and Zoloft. Neuro prescribed Imitrex and I asked if it would be OK due to interactions. She said no problem. I took it twice and both times had severe muscle pain and I'm not sure if it helped the headache or not as I fell into a strange sleep both times Anyway, won't take them again and am seeing a different neuro for a second opinion. (The first one blamed all my issues on these so called migraines I have... I've had migraines in the past and they were nothing like what I have been having as of late).
    I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, and a graduate student... I guess it COULD be stress!

Comment

thanks for the reply mommyRN. I was sure hoping to find that more people took migraine meds AND antidepressants out there!! Geesh. maybe there really is a drug interaction problem that makes solving both of my problems impossible to solve.

Act and feel crazy and sad?? or...deal with a dibilitating headache?? In the past I have chosen crazy, cause the headaches are unbearable. I don't want to have to choose anymore..I'd like to solve both of these problems.

Please, anyone with any experiance, good or bad, I'd like to hear about it.

thanks....
      You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

It's terrible to have to choose... For right now I choose the headaches. They are less debilitating for me than daily depression/anxiety which keeps me from functioning at all. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that helps!
        I'm a mother, a wife, a nurse, and a graduate student... I guess it COULD be stress!

Comment

I take Topamax to have fewer and less severe migraines, and I take Celexa.

Comment

If you begin taking a new drug and immediately experience a persistent headache, my own experience tells me that it's a side-effect of the drug...not necessarily a drug interaction, but an undesirable side-effect nonetheless.

I was put on Imdur, which is essentially a vasodilator, immediately after my quadruple bypass surgery, and I was having terrible headaches every day. I noticed that they would begin in the morning and fade in the late afternoon, and I was taking the Imdur in the morning. I decided to try switching the Imdur to the evening and, voila - the daytime headache disappeared immediately...but began instead in the evening! So I spoke to my cardiologist and he switched to another drug - end of problem.

I understand the value of anti-depressants - I take one myself - but nothing's more depressing than a splitting headache!

rex

Comment

kingrex, you made me laugh! I work in psychiatry and am much more effective with my patients when I have a headache than when I am depressed and anxious... working with me would be like going to an overweight dietician Do as I say, not as I do. LOL

Comment

taking SSRI plus Amerge..

For years, I have been taking an SSRI .I also take Amerge (a triptan for migraines) as needed. Although the "literature" tells about a possible side effect, I've thankfully never had any.

Have been on many SSRI's over the years....have used Imitrex in the past and the Amerge now.

I've used the same CVS pharmacy for over 20 years; it's never been "flagged" as a problem.

And, my SSRI's are prescribed by a psychiatrist who is also a nationally recognized psychopharmacologist-so he knows his stuff !!! I'm either just lucky or the chance of a reaction is very low........

just my experience.....best of luck to you in treating your migraines....my SSRI combo is celexa plus wellbutrin.
                spring

Comment

Originally posted by spring View Post
                  For years, I have been taking an SSRI
                  Anyone else not know what an SSRI is?

rex

Comment

SSRI - Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor are a class of antidepressants that include zoloft, prozac, celexa and more. I took zoloft and then celexa for years along with imitrex with no problems until the headaches changed and imitrex stopped working.

I know one concern was that my blood pressure would go up so we watched it carefully.
                    M.
                    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X