walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

walking

Just a quick question, I need help with trying to get moving more, I love going to flea markets, but my legs do not enjoy it at all, I can walk a little ways, and have no problems, but after that it gets really hard, my legs really start hurting, and its go really slow and finally go back to the car, any suggestions on what could make it easier, because I refuse to let MS get the best of me, I am going to go as long as I can go, and I really need to be moving more, to make this happen.
    Anita

Have you considered a rolling walker with a seat, like the Rollator? You can walk for a while, and when your legs start to get tired you can find a nice spot and sit for a bit.

Rollators come in nice colors (mine is a dark steely blue) and actually look kind of spiffy.

Comment

I was going to suggest the same thing. I got a rollator last summer and did a test run at a Saturday outdoor market and was amazed at how I was able to go the distance - all b/c I could rest when needed. It was super busy and was concerned how I was going to manuever around the crowds, but I found that people stepped aside when they saw me coming. In fact, I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea Really!!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

What kind of pain are you getting? Muscle pain or spasticity, i.e. cramping?

Without knowing, I'll make three possibly useful suggestions:

1) Baclofen for spasticity
        2) Stretching (yoga) for spasticity
        3) Practice walking on an elliptical and build up your muscles so you can walk longer and longer distances.

BigA

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
          What kind of pain are you getting? Muscle pain or spasticity, i.e. cramping?

Without knowing, I'll make three possibly useful suggestions:

1) Baclofen for spasticity
          2) Stretching (yoga) for spasticity
          3) Practice walking on an elliptical and build up your muscles so you can walk longer and longer distances.

BigA
          I hurt really bad in my hips, and my back muscles feel like they are squeezing my ribs, and just very weak legs with a ache.
          Anita

Comment

Are you taking extra Vitamin D? It's called D-3 at the vitamin store (Walmart for me).

My bones ache if I do too much activity.

Recently I was told by my Dr. that my D levels were very low.
            I take two 2,000 IU a day.

Concerning a Rollator, that sounds great for you!

Comment

I love visiting flea markets and I do the family shopping. I got a power scooter and LOVE it!

Before my fam doc Rx'd a chair for home (that at long last justified getting a scooter), I dreaded even modest venues. With my scooter I can go and so so much more than in many years. It fits in my car trunk, assembles w/o an tools and the heaviest part is 28lbs. Takes on a minute or two to set up and Go Go!

Comment

Thanks

thanks for all the replies, I must admit that I had thought about a cane, but was afraid to give into the thought of having to have one, just wasn't mentally ready to accept it.
                Anita

Comment

I "gave in" too

anitalhersman

I can relate to your comment of not wanting to give in, and get a help aide.

I finally did give in, got a cane, and now I change it every few weeks. My fav sleeve had a feather boa on it. Everywhere I went I left a trail of feathers. kind of funny.

They started calling me the Cane Diva at school where I work. It does give me more confidence, especially with kids in the hallway cuz they cannot walk without running in to you.

So I guess for my perspective, sometimes these things make life easier, but we can go into it with some serious "attitude".
                  You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Have you spoken with your doctor about the possibility of physical therapy to help with your ability to walk? Before I was diagnosed last summer, I had noticed that I was having problems getting up from a knealing or squatting position (like when you're at the grocery store getting stuff from the bottom shelf) and my back ached alot. I went for physical therapy for about 10 weeks and I am amazed at the results. My flexibility increased dramatically and I've been able to sustain that.

I am back in PT again for the past two weeks because I injured my iliotibial band in my leg and the PT exercises weren't doing much for it. Already, I am able to stand and walk longer without pain and without using medications.

Comment

Originally posted by anitalhersman View Post
                      thanks for all the replies, I must admit that I had thought about a cane, but was afraid to give into the thought of having to have one, just wasn't mentally ready to accept it.

It's not giving in.

Getting a cane, walker or whatever is just acquiring a piece of equipment that helps us.
                      It's no reflexion as to how tough you are.

BTW, do you have a parking placard that allows you to park closer to store entrances?
                      If not, talk to your DR so he can fill out the paperwork required.

All of these things are to help us.
                      Be proud that you are doing something good for yourself!

I started using a cane for long walks or long periods of standing in my mid 20's.

At first, I just wanted to shrink but my husband insisted I use it and not worry what others thought (guys are much better at that).

DH reminded me that when he was 16 years old, he had to use a walker for a year, due to a really bad sports injury.
                      He reminded me that if a 16 year old boy can use a walker, a beautiful woman like myself can use anything.

You can use anything that helps you with pride, Anita.
                      Keep remembering that.

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
                        It's not giving in.

Getting a cane, walker or whatever is just acquiring a piece of equipment that helps us.
                        It's no reflexion as to how tough you are.

BTW, do you have a parking placard that allows you to park closer to store entrances?
                        If not, talk to your DR so he can fill out the paperwork required.

All of these things are to help us.
                        Be proud that you are doing something good for yourself!

I started using a cane for long walks or long periods of standing in my mid 20's.

At first, I just wanted to shrink but my husband insisted I use it and not worry what others thought (guys are much better at that).

DH reminded me that when he was 16 years old, he had to use a walker for a year, due to a really bad sports injury.
                        He reminded me that if a 16 year old boy can use a walker, a beautiful woman like myself can use anything.

You can use anything that helps you with pride, Anita.
                        Keep remembering that.
                        Thank You.....I think thses are words I really needed to hear
                        Anita

Comment

The best thing about rollators (wheelie walkers we call them here) is you always have somewhere to sit.
                          Everyone should have one!

Comment

Does insurance pay for these? I go to the doctor next week and I could have her write a RX for it if so.
                            Anita

Comment

Originally posted by zilphia01 View Post
                              anitalhersman

I can relate to your comment of not wanting to give in, and get a help aide.

I finally did give in, got a cane, and now I change it every few weeks. My fav sleeve had a feather boa on it. Everywhere I went I left a trail of feathers. kind of funny.

They started calling me the Cane Diva at school where I work. It does give me more confidence, especially with kids in the hallway cuz they cannot walk without running in to you.

So I guess for my perspective, sometimes these things make life easier, but we can go into it with some serious "attitude".
                              Luv your cane story. Just wanted to tell you I purchased a can where it lights up with movement. My grandchildren love to play with it.. and I am a hit at the movie theater!!

Jan
                              I believe in miracles~!
                              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                              X