Article in NYTimes: How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article in NYTimes: How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body

Moderators...feel free to move this to whatever forum it's best suited for, I read it in the NYTimes this morning. I don't practice yoga, but I know a few members have mentioned they do yoga as a means of dealing with symptoms. This article gives some info on positions to watch out for that can cause physical problems...the last thing any of us MS folks need. So I thought I'd pass it on.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ma...pagewanted=all

Thanks for the article, rdmc! I am a former dancer (who can no longer even walk ), and used to practice yoga just to de-stress.

Can't wait to read what they have to say!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Someone sent me that article on Facebook too. I think it should be titled "How EXTREME Yoga Can Wreck Your Body".

Doing anything reptitively or forcably is going to cause injuries. This is why professional atheletes don't have long careers.

I use a great DVD called Yoga For Wimps and it has really simple poses and also modified poses for those that can't do the standard ones. It has definitely helped me to maintain muscle tone and flexibility as much as possible.

Some of the yoga I have seen defeats the purpose of real yoga. It is supposed to be about the mind and body. Not ego and showing off what extreme contortions you can force your body into.

This should make for an interesting discussion though
      I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

I completely agree, muse! "Hot" yoga? I don't think so!!

So many people try to make a good thing extreme, therefore making it useless.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Originally posted by muse_7 View Post
          Someone sent me that article on Facebook too. I think it should be titled "How EXTREME Yoga Can Wreck Your Body".

Doing anything reptitively or forcably is going to cause injuries. This is why professional atheletes don't have long careers.

I use a great DVD called Yoga For Wimps and it has really simple poses and also modified poses for those that can't do the standard ones. It has definitely helped me to maintain muscle tone and flexibility as much as possible.

Some of the yoga I have seen defeats the purpose of real yoga. It is supposed to be about the mind and body. Not ego and showing off what extreme contortions you can force your body into.

This should make for an interesting discussion though
          I read the article, and that seemed to be what the yoga teacher they were interviewing was trying to stress. It was very informative for those who do yoga, as far as what positions can really do you harm. I, personally, have never tried yoga, I do stretches, and with my pump, there are limitations (according to my physiatrist) as to the angles you're allowed to bend/twist...so I don't think I'll be taking it up now.

But I know I have read many positive articles on the benefits, and I think the guy they interviewed did a good job in laying down parameters...just as you mentioned in your post.

Comment

As noted in the article, traditional yoga is sitting poses by people who are in decent shape.

I do yoga at the YMCA and we never do anything dangerous and we're told over and over again to listen to our bodies and that it should not hurt.

This article is written for the same crowd who go out on weekends and hurt themselves playing football, basketball or weightlifting.

it's just a caution against doing bad yoga and trying to force yourself. It has nothing to to with yoga, really.

Comment

Working...
            X