In Need of Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Need of Some Help

My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 9 years ago. She is 57 years old and cannot walk, and has struggled lately to even stand with assistance long enough to transfer from her wheelchair to her bed or to a toilet. For a long time, my father was able to do everything she needed with no issue. However, he turned 61 in November, has had back problems his entire life, and is beginning to struggle with the day-to-day care that my mother needs He is a very proud man, so he hasn't actively looked for assistance to this point. While I understand and respect that about him, I'm also afraid that he is going to hurt himself.

He needs some sort of assistance, and I want to find it for him. My problem is that I don't know where to look. I have donated in the past to the National MS Society and have participated in numerous MS Walks around Northeast Ohio, but haven't heard back from them yet.

If anyone knows of any places or services that may help, please share. I want to do everything possible to keep both of them as happy and as healthy as they can be.

Thanks guys!

Welcome to MSWorld, uazip0510!

I don't know what resources are available in your area, but I'm sure they exist. Someone will probably respond soon with contact information for you.

It's great that you're so attentive to the needs of both your parents. Kudos to you!

Comment

Hi uazip0510

Bless you for helping and being concerned..

I think you need to decided, with your parents, what kind of help you're looking to find...Do you want someone to come in and help with her bathing/transferring/dressing? or a few hours every day on 1-2 days per week?

When you decide that, then you can find someone to fit the criteria you set up...The local MS society may have some care givers or you can go through an agency or hire on your own.

Number 1 is deciding what kind of assistance you need..and hey..61 is still very young ..Good luck to all of you.
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

http://www.disabilityresources.org/OHIO.html

Check out this website! It's chock full of information for a lot of resources.

Please let us know how you make out, and good luck!
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Working...
        X