I don't look sick, you don't look stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't look sick, you don't look stupid

I just checked out the cafepress website with quite an array of merchandise and different slogans / sayings.

My absolute favorite is the - I don't look sick, you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving...

I am ordering this in a zip up sweatshirt and tee shirt... It's gonna be my new motto... I am still on short term disability (had purchased the additional insurance years ago long before MS because of being a single mom). I popped into the office to see some friends before the holidays and heard from everyone how great I looked and one of the bosses made the comment after I left that I certainly did not look like I had anything wrong with me. Think I need this tee shirt before I visit again

Had to share... figure the shirt can speak for us

Jen

I got the one's that say " I have MS what's your excuse" and "I'm not drunk I have MS"

I personally don't understand why people get upset when people say they look good and can't be sick, I take it as a complement, it could be worse they could say boy that ms is really kicking your butt you look like crap.

But then again people that know me understand MS and realize most of the sx are internal and can't be seen, how do they know this you might ask? well I make it a point to give them a description of MS and explain how it effects people. It not only helps them understand it but expands the publics knowledge of MS and may in turn help when they are asked for donations etc.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

The site was wonderful! I'm going to buy a bag that I hope will fit on my wheelchair. I have something now, but I want something "prettier"

I can't wear those rockin' Manolos anymore (not if I want to transfer without falling ), but I can still try to be cool in my little pink wheelchair with the small wheels that light up!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I don't get upset about the comments, but it's more the stupidity of comments instead of simply asking questions.

That tee just reminded me of a shirt I wore for years that said 'I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter'.... I've never had much tolerance for stupidity. Don't mind 'stupid' questions because I don't believe there really are stupid questions, if you ask, you want to know more, so nothing stupid there

I'm just a smart aleck and like the flipness of that tee shirt I also like the 'whats your excuse' one... Just cause they tell me I have MS doesn't mean I can't keep my attitude

Jazzgirl - You gotta post pics of your pink wheels! There are some people who need to learn to make lemonade from the lemons and you certainly sound like you do just that!!!

Jen

Comment

They say "you can't fix stupid"

I'm a firm believer in the lemonaide saying.
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

How can I get to this website?
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by jenphilly View Post
              I don't get upset about the comments, but it's more the stupidity of comments instead of simply asking questions.

That tee just reminded me of a shirt I wore for years that said 'I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter'.... I've never had much tolerance for stupidity. Don't mind 'stupid' questions because I don't believe there really are stupid questions, if you ask, you want to know more, so nothing stupid there

I'm just a smart aleck and like the flipness of that tee shirt I also like the 'whats your excuse' one... Just cause they tell me I have MS doesn't mean I can't keep my attitude

Jazzgirl - You gotta post pics of your pink wheels! There are some people who need to learn to make lemonade from the lemons and you certainly sound like you do just that!!!

Jen
              hehehe...the wheels are regular bike-like tires (light gray, not black). The chair irself is a darker pink color (raspberry, I think), and there are little wheels on the front part called "frogs legs" that light up when I'm rolling! They swivel 360 degrees. I did everything to keep me out of this wheelchair, but when I hit my early 50s, I had had it for too long and it started to win. I got tired of falling, so I pulled a "***** you, MS" and decided that sitting was going to make my life less dangerous. It has...

I get more "how cool is that" compliments when I'm out than I ever did wearing those "**** me" pumps! , although I do have a friend (male) who calls me Cindy to this day (it's a personal joke...).
              “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

catmom -

There is an announcement from the moderator at the very top of the forum page about the cafepress site. But, since you're probably reading this, here is the link

http://www.cafepress.com/msworld1996

Have fun!

Jen

Comment

When I was on medical leave from work the beginning of 2011. I was pretty much bed ridden for 2-3 weeks in the beginning.
                  I did start moving around a little more every day after that. My best friend called me and asked me if I felt good enough to go see a band that we both like and thought maybe I just needed to get out of the house after about a month and a half off of work. I jokingly told her I can at least get out of my house and come see everyone but no one had better ask me to dance...lol
                  My son drove me there, as I was not attempting to drive yet, my best friend walked with me into the bar hosting the band, just in case, and also walked with me to the bathroom every time I had to go, and my son then picked me up at the end of the night.
                  I had a great time seeing everyone and just getting out.

Well little did I know that some of the people that were there from work would go back to work and let everyone know that I looked just fine and that apparently I was faking being sick at all. AND the kicker of their stories was that I was also more drunk than any of them had ever seen me before, since I had a hard time keeping my balance. Oh boy was I ever the talk of work. When I did go back to work I felt I needed to "explain" myself to my supervisor. It wasn't needed but I did anyway.
                  Some people judge before they know.
                  DX 10/26/11

Comment

one of my favorite t-shirts that I have though not a ms shirt but all the same. Says "I dont have an anger problem, I have an Idiot problem"
                    COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

MS patients aren't so special in this regard...people are naturally unsure of what to say or how to act around others who are sick, in wheelchairs, amputees, etc. I'm sure most of you knew very little about MS before you became ill; the truth is, most people know very little about medicine and the human body in general and most think MS is akin to cancer in terms of its impact and survivability. When they tell you that you don't look sick, it's meant to make you feel good, not to minimize your suffering. Many of them are probably shocked that your appearance (thankfully) doesn't fit their morbid expectations.

I don't think it's nice to make these folks out to be idiots.

rex

Comment

I always try to take stupid comments as a opportunity for education. Though I don't seem to have that problem of people not knowing I am messed up. I guess that is one advantage of using a walker. I do get a lot of comments about supposed cures like bee stings. I try to explain scientific method and how they have been found to not work. That's when stupid takes over and their eyes glaze over. Oh well, I try.

Comment

Originally posted by kingrex View Post
                          MS patients aren't so special in this regard...people are naturally unsure of what to say or how to act around others who are sick, in wheelchairs, amputees, etc. I'm sure most of you knew very little about MS before you became ill; the truth is, most people know very little about medicine and the human body in general and most think MS is akin to cancer in terms of its impact and survivability. When they tell you that you don't look sick, it's meant to make you feel good, not to minimize your suffering. Many of them are probably shocked that your appearance (thankfully) doesn't fit their morbid expectations.

I don't think it's nice to make these folks out to be idiots.

rex
                          I agree with kingrex on all counts. Since when is 'not looking bad' a stupid comment. Is there an automatic inference that your faking it? I think as kingrex says, it's not meant to be mean. I cant even understand why one would consider it stupid, i'm happy i dont look sick.

Comment

Working...
                          X