Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech Question

Okay,

So I am yet to be diagnosed, and seeing a nuero that specializes in ms every six months. Have been tested for many things, and have had symptoms daily for over a year.

Lately, I have been having slurred and scanned speech.

In addition, I've recently been talking, and said a completely wrong word. One I was not meaning to say at all!

For example last night I said: "Can I do your homework?" When I meant to say make up.

Anyone experience this?? Thanks!

Well, yes. But I did that long before I had MS, too.
    Not everything that could be a MS symptom is one. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

I remember early on (14 years ago) sobbing because I thought I was going blind in one eye. It was just an infected tear duct.

Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done, I know.

Comment

YES YES YES!!! I either cannot FIND the word I want to say.. or HEAR it wrong, or SAY it wrong when I try to talk.

Now its improved (usually after oral steroids). But I do have hearing processing issues. I cannot keep up with what I hear or miss the meaning all together. OR.. hear the WRONG word..geez.. louise..

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I've had verbal fumbling and word substitution...as in telling my husband I was eating a "penis butter" sandwich instead of "peanut butter".

If you haven't already, it's a good idea to let your neuro know about it.

Comment

Thanks for the support!

And yes I will certainly mention it to my nuero, as I sometimes cannot understand the meaning of simple sentences people say!

Hoping not to say a really wrong word around a friend or someone who doesn't know my situation, it was hard enough to explain the home work comment!

Best wishes to you all!

(Oh and also, does anyone spell words wrong? I tend to forget to letters in words.. I've even cursed on paper accidentally before because of it!)

Comment

I also have a problem with my speech. I had never had a problem until this year.
            I find it hard to find the right word when I speak. Sometimes the wrong one comes out also. This is great fun for my children...lol
            I have had many people tell me they have noticed that my speech has slowed and I seem to have to think through every sentence, and this is very true. It seems I need to think about every word I speak and it gets exhausting.
            I often know exactly what I want to say in my mind but then cannot verbalize it correctly.

I was wanting to go back to school for counseling but now I believe that is not possible for me as I cannot come up with the words it takes to express my thoughts and feelings on a subject.
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

I too have speech problems. I often find myself keeping quiet instead of talking when I realize that what I am saying is not coming out clear for people do not know about my problems.

It is frustrating, but also can be a great source of amusement.

Comment

Yes, sometimes I just keep quiet to avoid messing up. And when I happen to say something odd, a shake it off with a laugh.

My mother doesn't understand it (she's being tested for ms currently also, and already has one lesion in her brain and optic neuritis.)

Though, she doesn't understand this particular symptom, and I think compares it to her own symptoms.. It's easier with my dad a little bit because he has no idea what the symptoms are like.

Advice?

Comment

Do either of your parents STUDY/research MS? You'll learn, especially on this site, how unique we all are even sharing the same symptoms. Still you may manifest symptom in a different way or length of time.

Are there any MS support groups where you live? I would advise that you do a search or contact the MSAA society to help you.

And does your mother support you most of the time?

Glad your dad seems to be on your side. I wonder what he's going through. Any siblings?

Take good care, I look forward to your posts.

Warmly, Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                  X