Off balance while standing still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off balance while standing still?

Is being off balance while standing still something you experience with MS? I've been finding it really irritating that I can be standing perfectly still and upright and I almost immediately start swaying. If I don't hang on to something or if I don't make the physical effort to maintain balance on my own w/o hanging on to something, I will fall over. It's getting really really old. I'm sorry to repeat myself in every post that I'm not diagnosed, I just don't want to mislead anyone who hasn't read any of my previous posts. Thank you for any input, I am so fed up with this right now.

Hi b28,

Balance problems can be very normal for many of us with MS. My balance sucks and has since I was a kid.

b28, it's really important to understand and be aware of side effects medications can cause. The symptoms you are having, that I am aware of, is dizziness and balance. These symptoms are also side effects of your medication (dizziness, loss of coordination as well as other Neurological type symptoms).

If testing does not produce answers for you please speak to your prescribing doctor about your medication and the symptoms you are having. Unfortunately, you may need to go off your medication to know if that is the cause of your symptoms.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have the same problem b28. I sway like a tree in the breeze. I sometimes stagger as though I had been drinking too much and have trouble walking in a straight line at times.

Also, I agree with Snoopy. Be careful not to get caught up in the sx of MS and miss the actual cause of your problems.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

If you do determine it is MS, ask about physical therapy as well. It can be possible for the parts of the brain responsible to be retrained.

Comment

Originally posted by b28 View Post
          I'm sorry to repeat myself in every post that I'm not diagnosed, I just don't want to mislead anyone who hasn't read any of my previous posts.
          Hi b28:
          No need to apologize. Your instincts are good. It is better for you if you remind everyone of your status. Someone who's unintentionally misled by not knowing that you haven't been diagnosed with MS might, then, unintentionally mislead you with well-intentioned observations that don't apply to you. Just in this post, reminding everyone that you haven't been diagnosed has led to some good advice, which is to not view this symptom through an "MS filter," and to continue pursuing the cause, no matter what it is.

Comment

Hi b2b

My PT gave me some eye exercises for balance. Basically the exercise is similar to the pen they hold in front of you for examination. Hold finger stationary in front of your face then move your head left to right slowly while keeping eyes on your finger. (This may not be best description so ask your PT) The exercise, I think, is supposed to strengthen eye muscles.

Anyway you probably could get suggestions from your PT
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

interesting idea about the eye exercises.

personally, i'm very imbalanced. just ask my wii balance board! it reminds me daily!

which is why i got it. my PT suggested buying one when my sessions were up.
              i have dx vertigo, along with the MS left side numbness and weakness. even walking with a cane i can't stand still for the life of me!
              there are worse things, but it is bothersome.
              practicing standing on your whole foot, heels, all toes etc, at least that is what the wii tells me helps with balance plus imagining yourself being pulled up by your head stretching your spine straight. sounds weird, but does help.

pray you do better and only sway not fall!
              "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hi b28

I can relate to You. I also am not diagnosed and have a terrible time standing still without holding on. I am always looking for a wall to lean on or something stable to hold onto.
                It can be quite embarrassing when you are talking to someone and you just fall on something. When I am with my husband, I hold his hand for stability.
                Hang in there !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tellnhelen View Post
                  My PT gave me some eye exercises for balance. Basically the exercise is similar to the pen they hold in front of you for examination. Hold finger stationary in front of your face then move your head left to right slowly while keeping eyes on your finger. (This may not be best description so ask your PT) The exercise, I think, is supposed to strengthen eye muscles.
                  I spent years in the field of low vision rehabilitation. The exercise described does not "strengthen" eye muscles. Eyes move all day long, and normally the muscles are already plenty strong for doing what they need to do.

Balance is controlled by the vestibular system. Balance doesn't go "off" because of "weak" eye muscles. The purpose of that kind of exercise is to reinforce the neurological feedback loop between head position, eye position and balance.

Vision has an input into orientation and balance. However, the normal vestibular system is able to maintain balance even when visual input is eliminated. (That's what's tested in the Romberg test performed during a neurological exam.) If there's a problem in the proprioceptive or vestibular system, vision becomes more important in the maintenance of balance. This eye exercise reinforces the use of vision to help in the maintenance of balance. A neurologist, ophthalmologist, optometrist or OT/PT should be able to explain this concept in more detail.

Comment

Balance probs are really frustrating. I happened to end up in the care of a dizzy and balance specialty office by default in the beginning. He was the only neuro locally that could see me within days rather than months. What's even worse is ataxia combined with a balance problem. Every movement requires focus and concentration to perform. Large body actions that normally are done automatically require concentration and thought.

Anyway, my post was to let you know that diagnosis or not, balance problems are treatable. This original neuro had a PT and audiologist. The audiologist did the VNG and other testing in the office and the PT did the rehab. It was a nice setup, especially if this is one of your issues. He offered rehab to help, but my issues cleared up a great deal before getting through all of the testing. It still creeps up on me from time to time, and mostly has it's effect after dark. But it's far better now than in the beginning.
                    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                    X