wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelchair

Recently diagnosed and trying to learn/figure out what's going on. My doc has barely told me anything. Going next week to pick the injection med I want. My question is: will I ever get out of this wheelchair or is this permanent? Please don't try to sugar-coat it, just please answer me honestly. I don't need any false hope, I need info.
    Diagnosed December 20, 2011
    Avonex: February 10, 2012 - March 16, 2013
    Tysabri: June 28, 2013 - May 23, 2014
    Betaseron: August 15, 2014 - March 10, 2015
    Aubagio: June 18, 2015 - current

Hello LostCupcakes and welcome to MSWorld.

My question is: will I ever get out of this wheelchair or is this permanent?
    It is too early to know if being in a wheelchair is permanent or not.

With time, physical therapy(pt), and certain medications (depending on the problem) it is possible to regain mobility. This is not the case for everyone
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

There is not enough information to know if you the wheelchair will be permanent..

But there can be miracles with MS, so don't let your hope fade.

Sorry for your troubles and best wishes to you!

Comment

Hello. I can't tell you whether the wheelchair is here to stay or not, because I don't know enough about your situation.

Have you had IV steroids?
        Have you seen a neurologist yet?
        How long have you needed the wheelchair?
        Can you walk at all at the moment?

It sounds like they've diagnosed Relapsing Remitting MS, because they're offering you disease modifying drugs. That, and I know you'll find it hard to believe at this stage, is a good sign.

Things are likely to improve.

Comment

MS is different for everyone, so its hard to tell what your course will be like.

I had to start using a chair part-time a couple years ago. It was something I had feared for several years prior. I had fought the idea, told my doc it was like giving up, giving in or admitting defeat, he assured me it was none of them.

I learned that by taking some of the load off my gumby stix (legs) I was able to do more and better when not using the chair. I am RRMS and my walking is now better than it was a couple years ago, but still use my chair part time.

For years I had periods, weeks at a time I had to crawl to go up or down stairs, but I would recover and get better.

There is a new MS walking drug that can help some people with MS. You might ask your doctor about it. He may want to wait and see how you do over a few months or so first. My MS neuro tried to get me on the new drug, but my kidney function is not good enough.

Good luck cupcakes

Gomer

Comment

Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell. Even if you do everything "right", you can't really know. Statistically speaking, 2/3rds of PwMS will remain able to walk, but may need some sort of assistance. Chances are good the chair will not be a fixture, but again, you can never know. See the link at the end of my post.

A friend who was dx'd as a child has been in and out of a WC a number of times. She's never taken a DMD or steroids for that matter. Every time she has needed the WC, she has gotten back out of it.

I, on the other hand, have taken 3 different DMDs, done steroids for relapses, ridden them out w/o steroids, done MS specific diets and so on...all the "right" things. Once I started using the WC, I never got out.

The smart thing to do is to take care of yourself otherwise...eat right, get enough sleep (but don't let yourself become a slug ),etc. Exercise, even if it's just your upper body or using your hands to move and stretch your legs if you can't move them otherwise. Be as healthy as you can be to give yourself the best chance to heal as best you can.

Talk to your dr about what you can do, as far as therapy goes and any sx treatment you might need to be more comfortable. After all, dealing with pain and/or oddball sx isn't going to make it any easier.

Since you asked us not to sugar coat, I'll add this: any time you have to spend in the WC will suck...but it will not be the end of life as you know it. You just have to tweak things. I used to run. When the chair came, I took that to the track instead of my Nikes. You do adjust. Fortunately, you're likely to not have to.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...aspx#paralysis

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
              Hello. I can't tell you whether the wheelchair is here to stay or not, because I don't know enough about your situation.

Have you had IV steroids?
              Have you seen a neurologist yet?
              How long have you needed the wheelchair?
              Can you walk at all at the moment?

It sounds like they've diagnosed Relapsing Remitting MS, because they're offering you disease modifying drugs. That, and I know you'll find it hard to believe at this stage, is a good sign.

Things are likely to improve.
              The week before Christmas I spent 3 days in the hospital getting IV steroids. I've been in the wheelchair 2 months. I can only walk maybe 10 steps with a walker. This past year I've steadily gotten worse. I was forced to stop driving January 2011 due to leg spasms and cramps where my driving leg would lock up stuck to the gas pedal. Nearly got in a few wrecks and scared me so much that I refused to drive. Been seeing docs and getting tests since June. Was officially diagnosed December 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
                Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell. Even if you do everything "right", you can't really know. Statistically speaking, 2/3rds of PwMS will remain able to walk, but may need some sort of assistance. Chances are good the chair will not be a fixture, but again, you can never know. See the link at the end of my post.

A friend who was dx'd as a child has been in and out of a WC a number of times. She's never taken a DMD or steroids for that matter. Every time she has needed the WC, she has gotten back out of it.

I, on the other hand, have taken 3 different DMDs, done steroids for relapses, ridden them out w/o steroids, done MS specific diets and so on...all the "right" things. Once I started using the WC, I never got out.

The smart thing to do is to take care of yourself otherwise...eat right, get enough sleep (but don't let yourself become a slug ),etc. Exercise, even if it's just your upper body or using your hands to move and stretch your legs if you can't move them otherwise. Be as healthy as you can be to give yourself the best chance to heal as best you can.

Talk to your dr about what you can do, as far as therapy goes and any sx treatment you might need to be more comfortable. After all, dealing with pain and/or oddball sx isn't going to make it any easier.

Since you asked us not to sugar coat, I'll add this: any time you have to spend in the WC will suck...but it will not be the end of life as you know it. You just have to tweak things. I used to run. When the chair came, I took that to the track instead of my Nikes. You do adjust. Fortunately, you're likely to not have to.
                Thank you. I don't know anyone in "real life" with MS so being able to "talk" on here with someone who understands means a great deal to me. Being 28 with a 3 year old and not being able to play with her the way that she deserves is incredibly hard. I feel like she and I were robbed of our lives. Some days reading to her and doing puzzles is enough, but other days trying to teach her how to do anything physical (dance, play soccer, etc.) without being able to actually get up and help is heartbreaking. Thank you for your information, advice and kind words.

Comment

Working...
                X