Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year... Let us know your thoughts & resolutions for 2012!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year... Let us know your thoughts & resolutions for 2012!

Happy New Year!

Here's to a Great 2012 you and your families!

Please post what you did on New Year's Eve and your thoughts and resolutions for the year ahead!

All The Best!

Alan

Truly, a New Year!

New Year's Eve I stayed home with my husband, watched the ball drop (sort of) and surfed the web loooking for links for my new page at Facebook. I titled my page for my new book, Multiple Sclerosis, an Enigma. I have 35 members already signed up!

My resolution is to continue living with a healthy menu, to get back to walking and exercising, and to monitor my improvement. I feel so much better since discontinuing the DMD I was injecting. It was depressing and anxiety-producing for me (we're all different, right?)

Wishing you all the best of new years, and inviting you to read my book (it's at Amazon) and post a review in our Book Nook, or at Amazon or Goodreads.

Be well, all!

Terry
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I have no new year's resolutions.

I was just thinking about how much work the moderators of this forum do and I want to say THANK YOU!

Comment

Resolution 2012

To stop whining about every new symptom that shows up...& to gain more knowledge about paliative treatments.

To help those who come behind me...

Comment

Resolutions 2012

I spent New Year's Eve with a group of friends, singing through Mozart's _La Clemenza di Tito_ (a deservedly obscure opera, IMHO! - but fun to sing through with friends.)

Resolutions?
          • stop longing for all the attention that I never seem to get enough of, and pay attention to all the people who obviously like or love me
          • celebrate the things I can do, instead of mourning the things I can't
          • keep testing those limits! (I can probably do more than I fear) BUT
          • accept the limits that I can't get past, and REST when I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            I have no new year's resolutions.

I was just thinking about how much work the moderators of this forum do and I want to say THANK YOU!
            Totally Agree

Comment

My one and only resolution is not let MS take my sense of humor. I will call my 85 yr old Mom up after getting a picture of her & my 92 yr old Dad kissing. Tell her to quit wearing those skippy outfits as Dad is not as young as he used to be.

Comment

My list for the year-

1. Celebrate what I can do rather than mourn what I no longer can.
                2. Remember that happiness is not defined by a perfectly clean house, new toys, or the amount of money I make (or don't).
                3. Live in the moment- get rid of regrets and worrying.
                4. Express the love and gratitude I have for others every day.

5. Last- but certainly not least- finally lose those extra 10-20 lbs.

I too, would like to thank the moderators. Kind of wish we had a "like button". Not that I would want this to become like fb, just want to respond/encourage everyone I can.
                Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

joy

My resolution is to REfind a solid anchoring place for joy and attitude in my life. REfind all the great attitudes, happiness and desire to find what others are offering rather than focusing on what MS has replaced it with.

karen
                  You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Tis a new year with new possibilities....

My wife and I watched the ball drop in NYC drank Champagne and ate seafood......then we went to sleep....

2012 Resolutions

Find the meds that deal with all my MS symptoms
                    Finish the book that is nearly finished then start a new one
                    Find the means to buy a Cadillac (used)

Well if I can deal with these then anything is possible.....

Brian

Comment

I did it!!

I quit smoking...I got my DX 9-21-11 so after losing vision then regaining it back some I quit that bad habit. 2012 will be better and not going to light up a cigarette again. My health means more than that addiction

Comment

Originally posted by Jules24 View Post
                        I quit smoking...
                        Bravo! I hope you're able to stick with it (I quit at least a few dozen times before I got it right ).

Best of luck,
                        Mark
                        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

HERE!! HERE!!!

Way to go, JULES24!! Good for you!! Put one hand an each of your shoulders, and give yourself a big hug! Give yourself one from me, while you're at it!

This goes for all the rest of you who have quit the habit!
                          If you're working on a quit, keep it up!

I quit smoking 19 years ago today! Yes, Jules24, it can be done! Celebrating with a special broiled shrimp dinner. An annual pat on the back, with a different menu each year. SO.... even if any of the rest of you didn't make a Jan. 1 deadline...PICK ANOTHER DATE! Any date is a good quit date. Keep trying!

I'm un-DXed, so my resolution this year is to be proactive. To me resolutions are as much about stopping old things, as starting new ones. So to that end, I'm going:

1)To cease and desist searching for a DX. I've given the search 5 years of my life, been bounced back and forth more times than a ping pong ball...DX..un-DXed; hopes up, then dashed, again...It's just not worth the cost, physically
                          or emotionally. I'm taking a break.

2)To begin adding small hand weights (3X/week), and adding yoga for MS (class 1X/week), to my exercise routine of walking and stationary biking (I call it Mindless Spinery).

3) To morph my way into the MS Recovery diet. To eliminate all the junk calories, gluten, legumes, yeast, dairy, eggs, aspartame...as well as some other less than desirable, and/or unpronounceable stuff. Well,....this one presents a serious steep uphill learning curve. I've got 50+ years of un-learning to do.

It's not so much about "giving things up", or quitting, as it is about making a conscious choice. This time around the decision is more of a process, rather than an event...working towards living as well as I can with what's been handed me. As I'm learning the "practice" of yoga, I'm also learning the "practice" of living better.

4) To work towards acceptance, rather than resignation. Absolutely no clue how that one's going to pan out. I'm still to busy falling out of the proverbial perfectly good airplane without a chute, to spend much time thinking about anything but the fall. Too worried about the landing.....yeah, that's it, the fall AND the landing.....

5)Finally, and this is the one's the most difficult of all, to fight like H### to keep the use of my legs, one more year. This one scares me the most. With no DX, no DMD's, the only thing I've got to fight with, to slow this down, is diet and exercise. I'm a former distance runner. Make that was a former distance runner. In the past 5 years, I've seen my times go from being not even marginally (barely) competitive, down to walking, then waddling, then shuffling, and now "snailing" speeds. Lately, the descent has been catastrophic. I'm afraid, yes afraid, a walker will soon be in my future, and sooner, rather than later. Was in one once, due to vertigo, but I got my balance back. Don't think I'll be that lucky this time around...the decline is too long, too precipitous, too exponential.... Don't think they'll be any do-overs this time.

So, 5 things work on, to practice. Thanks for reading. Let all of us know what you're working on. Sometimes stating a goal validates the effort...firms up the commitment to yourself. Carry on kids!

Me
                          "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

Thank you

The encouragement is so awesome thanks!! I have no desire for smoking any more. The first weeks were hard but it's so bad for my MS and so glad that you two was able to quit as well.
                            It can be done. The lesions on my brain wont effect my strong mind to quit!!

Comment

3) To morph my way into the MS Recovery diet. To eliminate all the junk calories, gluten, legumes, yeast, dairy, eggs, aspartame...as well as some other less than desirable, and/or unpronounceable stuff. Well,....this one presents a serious steep uphill learning curve. I've got 50+ years of un-learning to do.

It's not so much about "giving things up", or quitting, as it is about making a conscious choice. This time around the decision is more of a process, rather than an event...working towards living as well as I can with what's been handed me. As I'm learning the "practice" of yoga, I'm also learning the "practice" of living better.

4) To work towards acceptance, rather than resignation. Absolutely no clue how that one's going to pan out. I'm still to busy falling out of the proverbial perfectly good airplane without a chute, to spend much time thinking about anything but the fall. Too worried about the landing.....yeah, that's it, the fall AND the landing.....

5)Finally, and this is the one's the most difficult of all, to fight like H### to keep the use of my legs, one more year. This one scares me the most. With no DX, no DMD's, the only thing I've got to fight with, to slow this down, is diet and exercise. I'm a former distance runner. Make that was a former distance runner. In the past 5 years, I've seen my times go from being not even marginally (barely) competitive, down to walking, then waddling, then shuffling, and now "snailing" speeds. Lately, the descent has been catastrophic. I'm afraid, yes afraid, a walker will soon be in my future, and sooner, rather than later. Was in one once, due to vertigo, but I got my balance back. Don't think I'll be that lucky this time around...the decline is too long, too precipitous, too exponential.... Don't think they'll be any do-overs this time.

So, 5 things work on, to practice. Thanks for reading. Let all of us know what you're working on. Sometimes stating a goal validates the effort...firms up the commitment to yourself. Carry on kids!

Me[/QUOTE]

You can do it!! I'm going to limit my diet as well. We can do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X