A few questions-Vertigo riding in car, hard to breathe standing up straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions-Vertigo riding in car, hard to breathe standing up straight

Not diagnosed, having MRI this week. Does anyone get vertigo w/ nausea sometimes when riding in cars? Like you feel like you're on an amusement ride. Another way to describe it is when the car slows down it feels like you're slowing down really fast but you actually aren't and when you accelerate it feels like you're doing it really fast and it actually isn't.

Also, this might not have to do with anything but I don't understand why when I stand straight up with good posture( standing up really straight with shoulders back), my chest instantly feels like it's being compressed and it's hard to breathe.
    Anyone experience these things?

Originally posted by b28 View Post
    Does anyone get vertigo w/ nausea sometimes when riding in cars?
    It sounds like you are describing motion sickness:
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/m...ess-000110.htm

Motion sickness, to the best of my knowledge, does not have anything to do with MS. Vertigo, which can be associated with MS is different than motion sickness.

Also, this might not have to do with anything but I don't understand why when I stand straight up with good posture( standing up really straight with shoulders back), my chest instantly feels like it's being compressed and it's hard to breathe.
    Anyone experience these things?
    Sorry, I have never heard of this with MS (as you describe) nor have I experienced it. Maybe someone else will have some idea.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Yeah I thought of motion sickness also but I have never experienced in my life(I'm 29) so I have never really felt that it what it is. Plus, my psychiatrist told me it sounded like vertigo when I told him about it. My general doctor said that I was having vertigo but it wasn't in regard to car ride, it was in regard to my description of how my head had been feeling(like I had been drinking) and being very off balance, and nausea all at the same time. Thank you for your input, I appreciate anything.

Comment

WOW b28 sounds awful. I used to get motion sickness alot as a kid and vertigo later. Not quite the way you describe it though "stopping too fast"..but still.

It "could" be from your ear too. I once was told a teeny piece of cartilege may have dislodged/or broken off after a motor vehicle accident..and caused 6 plus months of vertigo.. the worst ever. Who knows for sure, but my car did spin around on the freeway.

I hope you find answers..and soon. Have you had any other tests for MS? Hopefully its not MS..but still.. hope you get relief and soon. Have no idea what the breathing thing is..maybe some problem with autonomic system? Don't really know..sorry.

Warmly, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

The compression could be the "MS hug," but it would be strange to have it be caused by posture. Though, in some cases it does seem to happen. (to my knowledge)

Have you ever consciously experienced the ms hug?

Best wishes!

Comment

I get the same vertigo/nausea. Mine is definitely caused by my MS. It only bothers me when I have an active lesion on my brain stem. Before the MS I never got motion sickness or had experienced anything like it. I find that taking Ginger helps with the nausea.
            see my MSWorld homepage to follow my blog

Comment

One of my big issues is vertigo which is exacerbated by motion, this has definitely been caused by my MS. Scopalomine patches help with my motion sickness, but if I wear them for too long my vision goes blurry to the point of not being able to read.. Meclazine (aka antivert) is supposed to help this but it's never done a whole lot for me. Phenergin also helps loads with nausea, but it doesn't do anything for the actual symptoms that are causing it and tends to make me loopy. It's not a fun symptom to deal with, I totally understand what you mean about the stopping and going in the car feeling way more drastic than it really is and making you ill. Hope you feel better soon.
              I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Vertigo etc..

I have a small pillow that I carry with me; when vertigo begins to act up I take the pillow and press it gently over my stomach - to steady it - there are a LOT of abdominal muscles that surround the stomach area that go absolutely SPASTIC so do not overeat with vertigo. Ginger is a great anti-nausea root like hallk33 states

Also, watch your sudden eye & head/neck movements - Don't turn your head or body too quickly - learn to move slower - if that's possible!

I can't take most medications out there - they all make me 'stooooooopid' so I have to stay calm or it is a runaway train...

As for the chest - I am currently (a year) doing breathing exercises and have noticed a 'release' in that rib area - we breathe wrong most of the time anyway - belly breathing took care of most of my MS Hug moments - we have too much air in our bodies and we don't need all that air around out ribs and heart etc...- I don't miss them (MS Hugs) at all.
                Good luck to you, and g-d bless.
                Susa J

Comment

Working...
                X