a new kind of "limbo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a new kind of "limbo"

Long ago, I used to be on here a lot under the username, Limboland (turned out to be a not-so-great username ;p). Back then, I dealt with the "limbo" of not knowing for certain what was wrong and desperately seeking answers. For those who have never gone through years of "not knowing" why you have strange and disabling symptoms, it must seem really weird that I was glad to finally get a diagnosis of MS. It wasn't that I was GLAD I had it; it was a huge relief to finally know WHAT I had and get treatment for it.

Now....I am facing a completely different type of limbo; the uncertainty of: knowing whether or not I should teach another class in the fall; knowing whether or not it would be reasonable to homeschool my daughter (cyber charter school) if I don't work; knowing whether a planned family trip to India (my hubby's home country) next December is feasible; etc.

I had a horrible flare in September that left some residual problems (a worsening of my mobility). Then, after I had to "ride it out" b/c the steroid tx didn't work, I had a brief period in November where I finally felt somewhat better. However, by mid-December, my sx slowly seemed to worsen again. I had managed to finish teaching my fall class, and was excited about Christmas and the choice I'd made to not teach in the spring. It all was pretty much crushed by the return of my sx; I was basically back to the point where I was last September...during holiday celebrations.

Now, we are looking at making extra payments on our mortgage in order to be in a better position to purchase a piece of land. Once we have paid off the land, we can use it as equity/downpayment to have a home built to fit our needs. I can no longer manage to get around well in our split level home.

In addition, I started the process of going through OVR in order to be able to see if I can get a power chair and modified minivan before we have the home we desire. Glitch: I'm not sure if my health is good enough or will improve enough to be able to work in the fall. If that's the case, I need to let the caseworker know asap; esp. before we go through the mobility evaluation for a power chair.

Because this is all happening during the holidays (of course ), I have been unable to get anyone from the neurology dept. to contact me; even though I began leaving messages by phone and then email about a week before Christmas. I really need some advice and an examination to see if I need to change my DMD (as was mentioned to me by my neuro in September), to see if I need tx for a flare (currently visiting relatives for New Year's and am unable to participate in pretty much anything), and to get a better idea of what I may be able to do or not do in the coming year.

It's so great to be able to just "pour this out" on here. It has been the source of so much stress for me. Plus, I'm really tired of everyone else telling me what they think I need to do or not do; almost as much as I'm tired of these awful symptoms that seem to be stealing away a lot of opportunities to spend time with my family.

Praying friends are very much encouraged to pray for me.

Go in peace

Prayers are on their way. I agree that it is always a comfort to know that others understand and are praying for you.

Your post was very evocative for me, as this time last year was when I was realizing that I wouldn't make my goal of thirty-two years.

It is the holiday weekend, and that is problematic. But when the weekend ends, plan a day that you can schedule a substitute for, and plant yourself in the office of the neurologist. It's amazing what they can do to a schedule, or forms, or questions, when you are right there to consult. Never mind worrying about whether you have an appointment or not. Just present yourself. Promise.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Of course I'll pray.. and welcome back hon!

You HAVE been through too much.. enough!!

When is the latest you have to decide whether you teach or not next Fall? You could get an intermittant medical leave in place ahead of time. That covers ONLY times when you are off, not just continuous days. I used that toward the end of my work career, and turned out I didn't have to use it a much..but had the security in place.

Now, there already IS a Divine plan out there for you. As difficult as it is to trust that everything meant for you will work out, while in the human condition, it WILL. This sure has provided you many life lessons, and challenges physically and spiritually.

So please keep us informed.. and I will be here for you. I know someone who went to India and had help to get her through the roads etc. She made it and glad she did.

You sound like a planner (and who doesn't need that)..so its hard that challenging "unknown"...

Best to you.. continued healing. Hope you find the treatments that will help you along the way.

Hugs, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

chalknpens,
        I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to fulfill your goal of 32 years as a teacher. I have already taken the spring semester off (adjuncts for developmental reading are not needed as much in the spring anyway). Therefore, I do not need to find a substitute. But I do appreciate the advice and the empathy from someone who understands.

I'll be following up on my email for an appointment as soon as I get back home (travel day today).

Comment

mjan,
          I didn't mean to ignore you at all; we were staying at a hotel in Long Island, and I had to get off of the computer in order to get ready to leave. We just returned home to Pa on Monday afternoon.

I reread your post this morning and was thankful that I did. I hadn't even noticed the part about a friend of yours going to India; thanks for telling me. Much more, I really was encouraged by your words concerning God's purpose in my life. Since our return, it's been very frustrating to see myself feeling worse and not better.

May God bless you for your prayers (please don't stop) and your words of encouragement to me.

-Sherry

Comment

Sherry, I'm sorry you're having so many problems and choices to make. I know how difficult it is to plan anything when you don't know how you're going to be feeling when you get to that point.

I can't really offer any advice, but I did want to tell you that you're in my prayers (as always. )

Big hugs,

Lisa
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Thanks, Lisa.
              Always great to receive encouragement from a friend!

Blessings to you!

Comment

Working...
              X