Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't lift pots & kettle- progression? what muscles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't lift pots & kettle- progression? what muscles?

Hi
    I don't see my neuro til March so i could do with some advice on this issue. Over the last 8 months I've noticed Im finding it more and more difficult to drain pasta, lift a pan of potatoes, or a full kettle. My wrists are bending down and my strength is going. It seems to be disimproving slowly. I notice it also when Im texting in bed, my arms start aching with the effort. Does this sound familiar to any of u?

My background is 13+ yrs since RRMS dx. Had worsening RRMS then when I went on Copaxone, and refused mitoxantrone, I improved. Last neuro visit he said I was def still RRMS. I have no mobility probs. Bad fatigue and memory loss. I no longer work but I small busy being mum with a chatty four year old!

Any feedback or advice very welcome.

Hi Guzzy,

I was diagnosed May2007. I do not have mobility issues either but besides daily fatigue,tingles, and past ON 2x, most of pain is in my shoulders, arms,and hands. I told a neuro a year ago that even holding a book up reading in bed made my arms hurt/ache. My hands are more stiff which cause pain and cramping when typing, and holding objects. I feel I just need to rest them more often.My arms tire holding them up high or lifting things, however, I don't find my wrists weak. It seems I have strength but fatigueability.
    All the best and I'm sure your four year old keeps you on the go!

Comment

Originally posted by Guzzy View Post
      Hi
      I don't see my neuro til March so i could do with some advice on this issue. Over the last 8 months I've noticed Im finding it more and more difficult to drain pasta, lift a pan of potatoes, or a full kettle. My wrists are bending down and my strength is going. It seems to be disimproving slowly. I notice it also when Im texting in bed, my arms start aching with the effort. Does this sound familiar to any of u?

My background is 13+ yrs since RRMS dx. Had worsening RRMS then when I went on Copaxone, and refused mitoxantrone, I improved. Last neuro visit he said I was def still RRMS. I have no mobility probs. Bad fatigue and memory loss. I no longer work but I small busy being mum with a chatty four year old!

Any feedback or advice very welcome.
      I suggest you also ask your question on the "Occupational Therapy with Susan Dorne" forum. Susan will be able to tell you what's going on and how to improve the situation, whether it's by strengthening the appropriate muscles or by finding work-arounds that allow you to do what you need to in the kitchen and elsewhere.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Comment

Thanks sequoia that sounds good. I will post tomorow but i am accessing this webpage via my android phone at.the moment. I haven't yet learned how to select copy and paste!

Comment

Guzzy, thanks for posting this. Your comment about difficulty holding a book while reading in bed is so interesting.

I've noticed it myself but dismissed it as me being silly, that everyone must have the same problem hold books while reading in bed. I've folded pillows to rest my book on while I read but my wrist doesn't sustain the weight of a book, or if the book is flat on the pillow, I can't read the length of the page so I'm constantly rearranging.

It's annyoing more than anything. Now I'm intrigued that I'm not the only one and concerned about the increasing weakness in my arms and hands.

Handling pots and pans, even empty ones that don't fit into the dishwasher, has been a problem for a while and I know it's related to muscle weakness.

I have good strength too, although I'm aware that muscles fatigue quickly.

Maybe it's not MS and other bedtime readers without MS experience this too?

Comment

bluenose95, thanks for mentioning the heavy book problem. sorry I thought it was Guzzy, so thanks.

Still curious if it's a problem for all betime readers, or unique to muscle weakness from MS.

BTW, I had the phantom limb type pain in both arms, accompanied by right arm pailful paralysis for a few years.

Comment

Hi MSW1963,

Interesting that you have this issue but still have strength also! I haven't heard of any of my other friends mentioning this night time reading problem before, so I think it may be related to MS. I must say I don't enjoy reading novels as much as I used to because I find that even tiring...and I was such an avid reader.

It gets me in my hands and forearms.Holding the ipod, telephone to my ear, arms and hands in typing position,can also cause grief.

Do your hands and fingers feel "stiff" and feel that they have a coating on them? Actually, my toes feel the same way. I can touch my fingers to thumb in that alternating neuro test but my left hand is slower and has that stiff feel.

Take care and keep me posted if you find out any more info. Thanks!

Comment

Have you noticed any atrophy? I have it still from my relapse last Jan. I am still weak somedays are worse then others. My hands are 100% atrophied they look like the hand of a 107 year old and when I use them they bruse.

I met a lady one time who has MS and she said she works out with dum bells everyday just light ones she said when she dont she gets weaker every day.

I have been wanting to see if this is true for my self we have a gym here at the condo and I just need to go down and use it. But the fatigue is just so hard to over come.
                Skinny/Jess

In Limbo for 7 years. MS Dx July 2011. I am a Copaxone Cutie

Comment

I can really relate! The joke in my family is "never give Nona any glass or china" It will end up broken!
                  I've had this MonSter for 11yrs. now & grow weaker as time goes by.Mine is all on my right side,foot,leg,arm&hand.
                  I woun't even go into the bone numbing fatigue!
                  Keep us posted God Bless Merry CHRISTMAS!
                  Nona Judy

Comment

owlnona, growing weaker as time goes by describes my current MS status. The big attacks that there is doubt something very serious medically is worng haven't been evident for me since the last big attack.

The big attacks have been replaced with the 'weaker as time goes by', slow but consistant decline like lifting pots and holding a book. Could be much worse, but i do miss the full healthy life I once lived.

Merry christmas to you too Nona, and all the kind and generous members of MSWorld.

Comment

Skinny

Skinny, What does athropy looke like? I not sure I'd recognize it in my hands or any other body part. I suspect some of my muscles have athrophied/sp?, primarily because my doc doesn't discuss his observations of my clinical exam with me unless there is improvement. I think I may have atrophy in some muscles because of the weakness and the appearenace, but I'm not sure. Guess I'll approach my doc about clincal exam deficits and he'll advise me of any improvements at my appointment on the 28th.

Hope your sx's are improving and Merry Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                      X