Help Please, Good Twin Cities Neuro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please, Good Twin Cities Neuro?

Hi everybody, and thanks again for being here. We usually lurk and don't post much, but we need a little help if it's out there.

We are in need of a good neuro in the Twin Cities area who would be focused on the MS itself, along with symptom management, rather than spending all of each visit pushing the CRAB drugs. Our appointments have disintegrated into a "Well I can't help you if you won't take one of these drugs" situation, and we're getting nowhere trying to educate this neuro as to our research, and the reasons for our decisions to abstain.

Compliance for long term disability is an issue, and while we've done everything required thus far, we can't keep going to these sale pitch appointments, but obviously need to be under a physicians care.

Anybody know of somebody in the Twin Cities area? Thanks bigtime in advance.

P.S. The 'we" is my wife and I - she is the patient, I'm typing this for her. Also, I wasn't sure that this was the proper subforum for this, might put one in the Medications forum as well, if that's OK.
    I have put coffee in my cereal and have dropped my glass cup a few times.

The Mnpls Clinic of Neurology has a great mix of experienced MS docs (the Shapiro Center for MS is part of the clinic) and a newer, younger one - Dr. Tang who both I and a friend have seen and really like. He's thorough, thoughtful and the entire staff at the Clinic (receptionists, P/T, MRI, MS Nurses) are all wonderful! They also have clinics all over the cities but Golden Valley is the main place.
    RR spinal cord predominant MS; Doing well on Tecfidera for 3+ years

Comment

I see Dr Susan Evans at the Noran clinic. Their main location is in Minneapolis. They have a great reputation.

Comment

I would recommend Dr. Heiring at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology. That office is in Edina, MN.

Comment

My boyfriend, his mother and a good friend of my family all see Dr Calkwood at the Schapiro Center for MS and are all extremely happy with their treatment and course of action.

My bf was diagnosed in April and liked his initial neuro but his mother wanted him to see her doctor (and my family friend highly recommended him as well). It took several months to get his first appointment, but the difference has been amazing, well worth the wait.

He is exteremly thorough and has been baselining all kinds of tests for my bf, as well as enrolling him in a trial (that doesn't involve treatment at this time, only extra tests to see how he progresses over time, etc.).

I finally feel like we are agressively doing something about what's going on rather than taking a "wait and see" approach.

My family friend has been so happy as they are willing to dicuss all kinds of treatment options, alternative methods as well as traditional, so you get the holistic approach.

Good luck! I hope you can find someone to fill your needs.

Comment

Wow - thank you each and all for your responses, we'll make some calls and check them out.

The thread had gone 50 views or so with no responses, and we were beginning to wonder if maybe there weren't many Twin Cities members, or that maybe nobody had a neuro in the area that they were happy with.

This is good news, thanks again.

Comment

I'm glad that people have chimed in with the names of these clinics! I have heard good things about them all too, but haven't had personal experience with them. There are SO MANY good options here in the Twin Cities!

We heard Dr. Calkwood speak at one of those free imformational dinners, and he sounds like a great Doctor! Have you gone to any of those dinners? I get a letter almost every week inviting me to various ones at different restaurants--in St. Louis Park, Maplewood, Maple Grove and Bloomington (this is where we've gone, since we live in Richfield). The company that makes Rebif is who invites us and covers the expense.

I was just diagnosed in May, and my doctor is Dr. Lenore Simon through Park Nicollet Clinic. So far I really like her--she's a Neuro who specializes in MS. Keep us posted on who and where you go to!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMN View Post
                Keep us posted on who and where you go to!
                Ok Purple MN, will do. The clinic that we go to has been mentioned here, but the doctor we're having so much trouble with has not come up.

Onward and upward, we're excited to have some options actually recommended by people who know what we're going through.

Comment

Working...
                X