Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot flashes and night sweats(non-hormonal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot flashes and night sweats(non-hormonal)

I get extremely long hot flashes that last at a minimum of an hour or more and night sweats that soak my entire bed so bad that I have to sleep somewhere else.

I have had my hormone levels checked and my doctor said it is not hormone or peri-menopause related, but he can't seem to give me any explaination.

I have been wearing tank tops because even short sleeves make me too hot. I live in NW PA and the temps right now are ranging from the 40's - mid 50's during the day and sometimes in e 30's at night. Everyone thinks I am nuts for running around like it is summer by wearing sleeveless shirts.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? The nights are the worst.

Thanks

Are you on a DMD? I was getting this a lot when started Avonex. The neurologist suggested taking an antihistamine an hour or so before the jab, and another after the jab. He says it is often believed to be something to do with histamine release. Whether by coincidence, or I have got used to the Avonex or whether it actually works I don't know, but I've thankfully stopped getting them!
    It's an easy thing to try.....good luck.

Comment

I suffer with hot flashes too, a lot. (Is it hot in here??) I know there are things like cooling vests, and cooling neck wraps. Drinking cold stuff, and putting my wrists on a glass of ice water helps too. I am not on a DMD, and hit menopause over 5 yrs ago, so I don't know if mine is hormonal or not, but it sure is hot in here....soemtimes....

Comment

I have also had the problem with night sweats for almost a year now. This is so very unlike me. I have no clue what is causing it and have not mentioned it to the Dr yet.
        DX 10/26/11

Comment

Originally posted by theofficemommie View Post
          I have had my hormone levels checked and my doctor said it is not hormone or peri-menopause related, but he can't seem to give me any explaination.
          Hi officemommie:
          Is that the only thing your doctor tested you for?

Comment

Suggestion for night flashes/sweats

Sorry for what you're going through. I suffered with similar sxs for a couple of years. Had an insulated ice bag beside bed so I wouldn't have to get up so many times. I would throw off the cover and place the bag on my chest untol I cooled down. Unfortunately I had many nights of broken sleep.
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I have had soaking night sweats, but it was due to my diabetes.

I presume many things can cause night sweats......

.Gomer.

Gomer

Comment

The dr tested me for a full panel of everything. The only thing that came back a little low was iron. My thyroid and everything else was fine. So he told me just wait and see if the hot flashes and night sweats just went away on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by theofficemommie View Post
                  I get extremely long hot flashes that last at a minimum of an hour or more and night sweats that soak my entire bed so bad that I have to sleep somewhere else.

I have been wearing tank tops because even short sleeves make me too hot. I live in NW PA and the temps right now are ranging from the 40's - mid 50's during the day and sometimes in e 30's at night. Everyone thinks I am nuts for running around like it is summer by wearing sleeveless shirts.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? The nights are the worst.

Thanks
                  I am not alone. I break out into a sweat for absolutely no reason. At night, I wake up with wet hair and clothes. It is driving me batty. Hormones are fine, no glucose issues, no reason that the docs can find....
                  I sleep with ice packs, a fan, and the window open. It seems to help some, but I still wake up with wet hair... Yuck!!!!

Comment

I get this also, I found out is was due to spasms and pain. I'm on a lot of pain blockers & muscle relaxants, 24/7 my body is doing something weird. It's my body's way of reacting. I wake up sweating or just break out in a sweat doing nothing. I sweat when I eat, that is the most embarrassing. Needless to say with ms our thermostats are broken anyway It takes a lot of energy to regulate body temperature, something we have at a minimum. Sleep in very loose clothing ( or none) cool room, lightweight covers. Some mattresses or pads trap heat, check that out. Hope you sleep better
                    gym girl

Comment

Working...
                    X