Causes of ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Causes of ON

I hope eveyone is having a relaxing Sunday.

My Neuro, Ophthalmologist & GP all agree I have ON in my left eye. I have had the related tests done including 2 sets of Lyme tests sent to different labs. Ophthalmologist still thinks it is Lyme related but nobody else does. VEP was over 120 in the left eye and 108 in the right. I had an LP done last week but I have a feeling it isn't going to help figure out what is at the root of the ON.

What besides Lyme or MS can cause Optic Neuritis?
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Hi maitrimama:

There are many conditions that can cause ON, starting with the rheumatological conditions, including Sjogren's syndrome, SLE (lupus), sarcoidosis, Behcet's disease, antiphospholipid syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. Neuromyelitis optica/Devic's disease and MS can cause ON. Bacterial and viral infections (Lyme disease, herpes zoster/chicken pox, tuberculosis, syphilis, measles, mumps, respiratory viruses) can. Toxicity from drugs and poisons can. B12 deficiency can, and I wouldn't be surprised if more cases of ON begin to be associated with celiac disease. Also, there's a condition called chronic relapsing inflammatory optic neuropathy (CRION), which doesn't appear to have any underlying disease. And, for some cases of ON, no cause is ever found, although some recurrent cases of ideopathic ON are now being reconsidered to be CRION.

That's by no means all of the possibilities, but enough to wade through on a relaxing Sunday.

Comment

Redwings covered almost every single one I knew (and them some) but I also believe that some ischemic vascular conditions can lead this ON as well.
      Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
      ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Thx Guys - I have had the vials and vials of blood taken and the countless number of tests done (some twice) and nothing has shown up. All the autoimmune disorders have been considered including Celiac's which negative but I know there are a lot of false negative's for Celiac's (my teenage daughter was Dx with Celiac's and IBD in September). I actually had measles, mumps and chicken pox before everyone was vaccinated. I am happy to say I have never has tuberculosis or syphilis.

LP results should be back early this week but I have a feeling nothing will show up. I will look into CRION and keep poking around. And of course it could one of the many mystery viruses floating around out there.
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X