Health building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health building?

What is your plan for rebuilding your health? This seems to be all some of us have, and really all that any of us have control over. I've tried a lot of different natural processes over the years. Some seem to have worked, some didn't, but I can't really know because of the constantly waxing and waning nature of things. All I can do is guess.

Have you found anything that stands out as successful in the way of slowing down progress or reducing symptoms? What is your plan for health building?

Over the years, I'd say the things that had the biggest impact for me were a high veggie, low meat/dairy/grain diet, super vitamin supplements and exercise. In fact, one of the docs mentioned that might be how I was able to go so long without any truly obvious signs of the underlying storm brewing.

When I went back to work full-time and couldn't cook like I had been all along, it all went downhill from there. But at the time, that's also when I started doing saunas, which I know now are bad juju.

What works for you the best?
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
    Some seem to have worked, some didn't, but I can't really know because of the constantly waxing and waning nature of things. All I can do is guess.
    I agree and think it is impossible to know whether something is actually working or whether it is just the luck of the draw with MS.

In the big picture I have been blessed so far although I'm fully aware that things could change at any moment. I faithfully take my Copaxone, eat healthy, don't smoke or drink, exercise pretty hard at least 4 times a week, work and take classes.

No clue if any of it is helping but I figure it sure isn't hurting and despite my cynical attitude where MS is concerned I'm not slowing down until it forces me to.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I have gone gluten free for 7 months now, and definately feel better but I am still 'new' to MS and don't know how I should feel. I do try and work out 4-5 a week, and eat mostly 'clean' as they call it, with loads of veggies, some fruit and lean/grass fed meats and fish/shrimp, etc. I take my daily vitamin D, working my way into Fish oil.. ick.. think I might just add some ground flax seed to my green protein smoothies in the AM... and read as much as I can about other added supplements.

I didn't take care of my body before I had MS, well I did when I was in the Air Force, but once I got out I let myself slide. So when I was dx, I decided that if I was going to have to be in a wheel chair one day, I better be fit enough to get myself in and out of it! LOL So I joined a gym, focused on my eating and have lost 40lbs so far, can curl 20 lb free weights with ease, do three sets of 20 pushups with no problems, and can walk/jog for 40 minutes with no trouble. So things are looking up!

I have a book requested to my husband for my christmas gift titled 'minding my mitochondria' - I can't remember the author right now, but it is from a Dr. with progressive MS and she managed to 'eat' her way out of a power wheel chair. So I am super excited to read what she has to say.

I don't know if any of it will be 'new' information as I am well aware of the benefits of eating well, (no processed junk) but just some added assurance that I am doing right will be fine. Although I hope to learn some new things, and maybe I will find out a new love for a new food!

I found that cutting up veggie for snack time at my desk helps keep me going. I have a green smoothie in the AM, spinach, blueberries and protien powder... snack on veggies if I am hungry, have left overs for lunch and then find quick meals for week day meals. Last night was chicken stir fry, and thats my lunch today!

Comment

Originally posted by sengelhardt View Post
        I have a book requested to my husband for my christmas gift titled 'minding my mitochondria' - I can't remember the author right now, but it is from a Dr. with progressive MS and she managed to 'eat' her way out of a power wheel chair. So I am super excited to read what she has to say.
        There's more information on Dr. Terry Wahls on the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum. Just type the word Wahls into the Search This Forum bar.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

It's worth noting that Dr. Wahls did not get out of her power chair just by eating a carefully designed diet. She had treatment by electrical stimulation for the wasted muscles in her legs, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          There's more information on Dr. Terry Wahls on the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum. Just type the word Wahls into the Search This Forum bar.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

It's worth noting that Dr. Wahls did not get out of her power chair just by eating a carefully designed diet. She had treatment by electrical stimulation for the wasted muscles in her legs, too.
          Good point - and I guess I didn't mean that was the ONLY thing she did.. I just caught a brief review of her book on another website, and I didn't take the time to look it up again after I emailed it to my husband to get me for Christmas. An amazing story, I can't wait to read it! I truly believe we can do amazing things with our nutrition!

I will do a search for her on the other board for sure! Thanks for that!

Comment

I strongly believe everyone needs to create their own personalized diet, based on their unique health needs and taste.

MSers should start with an Anti-inflammation and high antioxidants diet as the foundation for creating a diet. Then google (“Your Health-Issues” Diet) and start customizing your diet. Also Google “myelin diet”

I hate diets that say fruit good, meat bad; because they vary so greatly.
            Strawberries are highly anti-inflammatory, grapes and raisins are highly inflammatory.
            Men need the protein in red meat, but the diets generally are designed for women MSers and don’t take that into account. Plus learn red meat is healthy for everyone.

NutritionData.com has helps me a lot, and spices are really good in many ways.
            I like Penzeys.com spices, good quality and prices.

I prefer “The Inflammation-Free Diet Plan”, inflammation is bad for several reasons.
            For me it triggers my ON (Optic Neuritis), also inflammation increases the damage from a lesion, plus allows lesion causing cells to pass though the blood brain barrier. And thus an anti-inflammatory diet should reduce the damage from lesions and reduce the quantity of lesions.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
            X