Less than 6 months with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less than 6 months with questions

It's been less than 6 months since ms dx and it seems I still have plenty of questons. The first one I have is does ms hit at the same place again? Does Rebif keep the episodes from happening or just from happening badly?

I've been told I should go on disablilty but really wonder if I should. I am a cust service rep in a call center which involves a go, go, go mentality handle as many calls because we are timed and monitored for quality and speed, it requires the use of more than 7 systems simoustanously and constant updates on what is ever changing, a ton of new things to remember daily and on and on it goes, no bathroom breaks except what is allowed on scheduled breaks, not a great job but the only one available in this small community.

I have trouble with using my hands to write or type, still have blurred vision (not sure if that will ever go away) have trouble with memory (having trouble remembering where the letters are on the computer) etc (you get the picture). I'm still on short term disability and not sure what I can ask the company for if I do go back. I know I shouldn't be worrying about that considering I still have so many unanswered questions about other things, just hoping for some input to get these things off my mind when I do think about them.

I'm really grateful for msfriends, I have no one I can talk to about any of this, doctor is always so busy covering everything else.

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
    The first one I have is does ms hit at the same place again?

Does Rebif keep the episodes from happening or just from happening badly?
    MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which includes the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. Damage can happen in any or all of those areas.

Exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up) can be a worsening of old symptoms, new symptoms or a combination. The exacerbation can be similar to a previous one or different.

Rebif and the other Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs)/Disease Modifying Treatment (DMT) are to hopefully slow progression, hopefully decrease the amount of lesions and hopefully reduce the amount and severity of exacerbations.

There are no guarantees with or without medication, this disease is a crapshoot. Some do fine using the DMDs, some still progress/get worse and some do fine without DMDs.

You have only been diagnosed for 6 months and it sounds like you are still dealing with the affects of an exacerbation. It can take time for symptoms to calm down, if they are going to.

Have you talked to your neuro about the difficulties you are having? Was your neuro the one who mentioned disability?
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

You're still feeling sick, and shocked and a bit lost. All of which is completely normal when you've been told you've got MS.

I had ten good, by which I mean practically 'normal', years after diagnosis.

I don't know how you feel physically and it's good to plan for the future, but don't do anything too fast about work.
      It's very hard to go back.
      Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
        It's been less than 6 months since ms dx and it seems I still have plenty of questons. The first one I have is does ms hit at the same place again? Does Rebif keep the episodes from happening or just from happening badly?

I've been told I should go on disablilty but really wonder if I should. I am a cust service rep in a call center which involves a go, go, go mentality handle as many calls because we are timed and monitored for quality and speed, it requires the use of more than 7 systems simoustanously and constant updates on what is ever changing, a ton of new things to remember daily and on and on it goes, no bathroom breaks except what is allowed on scheduled breaks, not a great job but the only one available in this small community.

I have trouble with using my hands to write or type, still have blurred vision (not sure if that will ever go away) have trouble with memory (having trouble remembering where the letters are on the computer) etc (you get the picture). I'm still on short term disability and not sure what I can ask the company for if I do go back. I know I shouldn't be worrying about that considering I still have so many unanswered questions about other things, just hoping for some input to get these things off my mind when I do think about them.

I'm really grateful for msfriends, I have no one I can talk to about any of this, doctor is always so busy covering everything else.
        I asked a Neuro about that one time, whether or not MS struck the same place twice. We all know a body part can have problems more than once, but does a leision get hit again? Is it completly random?

In truth, he seemed to dither to me, as if he didn't want to answer or he couldn't answer. I think that if it's not random, it implies that the Blood Brain Barrier has a role to play, not just the immune system, but since all their research is on the immune system, why look elsewhere?

Comment

Hey Pontiac~

I'm with you ! I was dx 2 mos ago although I have had the same sx for a year and a half that have never gone away.

I get so confused. I don't want to call the doc everytime something happens because I don't know what is "real" and what is MS.

It is very frustrating and I feel where you are coming from.
          This is the best place to get answers and support!

Hang in there
          Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
          RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
          Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

Originally posted by alliesmommy View Post
            Hey Pontiac~

I'm with you ! I was dx 2 mos ago although I have had the same sx for a year and a half that have never gone away.

I get so confused. I don't want to call the doc every time something happens because I don't know what is "real" and what is MS.

It is very frustrating and I feel where you are coming from.
            This is the best place to get answers and support!

Hang in there
            2 months is not long enough for all SX to go away. In fact, they may never ever go away, but you'll have to wait and find out. We're all left with something or another.

Don't fret that this means you're progressive, you're not. And you will feel better.

Comment

Working...
            X