Doctor Trouble... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Trouble... Help!

I need help, advice, guidence, anything!!! I had a doctor think I was double filling scripts, now I'm like a hot potatoe, no doc wants to see me!!! And I need one, not only for the regular scripts but for Tysabri, which I have missed two doses of now bc of this!!!

I had some meds stolen, and had a new doctor refill it for me bc I had moved and did not plan on going back to that nuero anyway. Which he knew, and was unhappy bc I went backrupt and had a big bill (bc of an insurance error) that was discharged, but he was still willing to see me, I think to make some of his money back, even tho I could tell he was upset with me and I don't think he was treating me right. Maybe I should have just left then, but I had used him, the same nuero I've had for like 10 years.

I have requested my records a couple of times and they don't seem to be willing to release them. But they say they haven't recieved any requests, not flat out denying me my records. However, a nurse there said I couldn't request my records by myself without a doctor, is that right?

The old nuero saw that I used a new doc to fill a couple of scripts, the ones stolen, I got a police report and everything, but he refuses to even listen, he thinks I was double filling or something... He sent a letter to my new doc, a GP telling him I was double filling. After the letter the new GP isn't sure he is going to see me now either, even tho he knew what happened. I don't get it.

I don't know what to do!!! I feel like I have a label now, and I need to know how to get back in with a doctor. Does anybody know what I should do???

Thank You!
    -Creede

Hi Creede,

I'm sorry you're having problems with your doctor and meds. Hopefully you can find a doctor to help you.

Regarding your medical records, no, you don't need a doctor to get copies of your medical records. In fact, if they don't release them to you, they are in violation of HIPAA laws. You may need to get an attorney to sort this mess out.

Good luck and hugs!

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

What a pickle and you are right you don't want to be on that list. As I am sure you have realized, the mistake was not going back to the orginal prescriber when the meds were stolen, especially if any were controlled substances. Presribing Drs are monitored and if he has had any problems in the past he may very well have over reacted. The best thing to do is be super careful moving forward. You can even offer to fill Rx's in 2 week intervals until the new Dr becomes more comfortable.

I always mess up when I try to do links but this web site is great, explains just how to request records and what to expect. It even covers each individual state.

About.com
      Patient Empowerment
      How to Request Your Medical Records

The exception to the rule is they do not have to release Mental Health Records if they believe the information could put you in a state where you might harms yourself.

Good Luck and God Bless - M.
      M.
      A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Perhaps producing a copy of the police report from the theft would vindicate you?
        "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

Some states keep a registry of patients' names and the prescriptions (usually just controlled substances that have a street value) they get filled and which pharmacies fill them. So a pharmacist or a doctor may be able to track double-filled subscriptions in your name.

it will then look to the doctor like you are a drug abuser or drug seller, and also someone who does not pay their medical bills. A copy of the police report and filing a request to make a correction of your credit report (about the insurance company error) might help you in convincing a new doctor that you are on the level.

If a doctor knowingly prescribes controlled substances to a patient who appears to be abusing/diverting them, he/she will be investigated for possible federal and state criminal offenses. That is why your doctors are apt to be very leery.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
            Some states keep a registry of patients' names and the prescriptions (usually just controlled substances that have a street value) they get filled and which pharmacies fill them. So a pharmacist or a doctor may be able to track double-filled subscriptions in your name.
            A registry like this seems like it would be quite an undertaking...quite expensive too I would imagine. I'm not just skeptical, If its actually true, I'm PO'd. What a ludicrous use of tax dollars.

I, for one, get very frustrated when a doctor does not prescribe what I ask for when it comes to pain meds. If my Dr. thought I was abusing pain med's. he would tell me...I'm not even close. But when he's on vacation it's a battle royal with his partner's to get pain med's. in the rare case I need them.

Why are they so nervous? Do they have a reason to be worried? If so, maybe they should be investigated.

OP...your caught in that Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets medically blacklisted...everything she does to explain just makes it worse. They eventually wind up at a Veterinarian.

You have every right to get your records...forget Lawyers...just get your records, they have to give them to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Windwalker View Post
              A registry like this seems like it would be quite an undertaking...quite expensive too I would imagine. I'm not just skeptical, If its actually true, I'm PO'd. What a ludicrous use of tax dollars.

I, for one, get very frustrated when a doctor does not prescribe what I ask for when it comes to pain meds. If my Dr. thought I was abusing pain med's. he would tell me...I'm not even close. But when he's on vacation it's a battle royal with his partner's to get pain med's. in the rare case I need them.

Why are they so nervous? Do they have a reason to be worried? If so, maybe they should be investigated.

OP...your caught in that Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets medically blacklisted...everything she does to explain just makes it worse. They eventually wind up at a Veterinarian.

You have every right to get your records...forget Lawyers...just get your records, they have to give them to you.
              There is an insane stigma with pain meds rite now becuz they are sooooooooooo on the rise. Floriduh and the pill mill deal,really added to this. In the state of floriduh,7 people a day were overdosing. I live in floriduh. To get a Doc to now rx you pain management is like getting the sky to fall.

Comment

Thanks!!!

Wow! Thank you all for your replies!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Just a few things in responce:

Colorado does have a pharmacy tracking website which tells doctors when and where one fills a rx. I am/was well aware of this website...

I did give police report to the new doc. He actually requested it, and that is the reason I went through the trouble of even filing one, bc I knew the pills were gone and I would never see them again.

Since new doc has report, I thought that would take care of this too, but it hasn't... One thing that might also be causing me trouble is that the old nuero said I had a contract with him, saying I would only go to him for meds period. There is NO such contract, I never signed anything like that.

As far as paying for med bills, my medicare finally kicked in, so along with my expensive supplemental, I am pretty much covered 100% on everything. So the new doc should have no worries there.

So what do you all think??? Should I try to call new doc tomorrow, and ask if I can at least explain??? Or should I just move on???

IDK this just seems like something I should try to fix, and not just move on...???

I did love the Seinfield comment! I so feel just like that!!! And I'm also a lil afraid of making things worse too by trying to "fix" this with these folks.

Again Thank you All!!!
                -Creede

Comment

One time last year, I went to a walk-in clinic, run by the local hospital. I was in PAIN! The doc reacted like I was just seeking drugs. As he left the exam room, he said he would have them give me a pain shot, thinking I would leave instead of getting a no fun shot.

I was in PAIN and wanted relief, so I stayed and stayed for what seemed like was eternity, prob 45 minutes anyway. Instead of a shot, the nurse came in with a Rx for pain pills. I am very conservitave when it come to strong pain killers. I can not take NSAIDs due to kidney disease.

Gomer

Comment

Just a Note

Most states use the Medicaid computer system...kinda piggyback off of it. It has the physicians, pharmacies and many of the recipients already.

Comment

The contract most pain management doc's require patients to sign is standard. I didn't realize I signed one, but I did.

I stopped taking pain meds in February because of the stigma associated with take them. The nurse at my pain doc of 3yrs made an error on one of my refill, an error that I documented. But it was like the Seinfeld episode, the more I tried to explain the more suspisous I became.

One exampe of how I came under suspicision is that I struggle w/spacial skills deficit and get lost. My pain med doc's office moved to a new location and I got lost traveling to his new office for a couple of appointments. When I arrived too late for an appointment I was considered a no show, even though I did arrive at the office, just later than my appointment. I rescheduled the appointment for later the same week. Not keeping an appointment is a violation of the Pain Management Agreement contract, which is how my late arrival for an appointment due to my spacial skills deficit was interperted.

Washington state has nearly stopped rx'ing controlled substances. I live in a neighboring state and recognize the increased stigma because of WA patients traveling to neighboring states for pain treatment. Not to mention WA drug seekers who are also traveling to neighboring states.

Pain management and DEA have are now practically one and the same entity. Ironically, some of the very conditions/behaviors DEA considers suspicious are considered obsticles to medical care by treating docs. For example, most of us are probably aware of the difficulty accessing medical care by those in rural areas, due to the amount of travel involved for those living outside of urban centers. DEA has identified traveling xx number of miles for medical care as a red flag for drug seeking behavior. At the same time docs are lobbying congress for solutions for those in rural areas who must travel long distances for care.

I recognize the problems presented by the availablilty of rx'd meds on our streets. I do not know what the answer is to this problem, but I don't think having DEA as advisor and over see'er for medical treatment for the legitimately sick is the answer for docs or patients. Long term job security for DEA may be closer to the truth.

Pain management has become one of the fastest growing med specialties for the past several years, w/docs leaving current practices for more lucerative pain management. Particularly since the big push by DEA for control in the rx'ing docs office, imo. We are all suspects.

I'm also not happy about the additional cost for routine urine test required each office visit, at least monthly. I guess it's another profit stream (no pun intended) for medical professionals doing all they can to keep rising cost under control.

Comment

Working...
                      X