stress - an observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stress - an observation

I have noticed that on many threads flares and other sx's are exacerbated by stress and the flares and other sx's bring on stress.

It's an endless cycle and I would guess interferes with many dx. There is hardly a cure for stress -yeah, anti anxiety and anti-depressants are prescribed and work temporarily but they can't work forever and shouldn't be taken forever.

"just try to get rid of the stress" is such a catch-all diagnosis that it's almost patronizing. I hate is a much as "take one day at a time." Both are easier said than done.

Just a vent and an observation.
    This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Yep, I heard it from my neurologist and my primary care doc. And now from my wife (who does really care, I know).

She worries about my relentless spare-time drive to learn everything I possibly can about my symptoms. But for me the key to coping is to understand.

I figure we're due to have that conversation in the next few days, because I need to find a new set of doctors who will step back from the "stress" judgment and do a more thorough work-up.

Comment

When I was trying to get a dx I went to 25 doctors and finally ended up with a great neuro who did dx MS. I told him yesterday that a number of those doctors saw my stress as primary instead of secondary and told me to see a psychiatrist. He made a fist like a gun and stuck it in his mouth. Gotta love him.

Comment

Yeah, I hate the word "stress". It's like, everybody has stress. I have a lot less than I used to, but I'm not a mellow person. There's too much going on in the world to ignore!! And the last time I checked, I'm still alive!!

I remember telling a dr my arm or neck bothers me from stress. He said, " what's causing stress? Work, kids, husband??" I said "no, physical stress, like moving a chair, feeding the cats, taking chicken out from the freezer."

Stress comes in different forms. I guess I have to find a different word. Like that isn't stressful!! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
          A bit like "Try to relax". The act of trying in itself is antagonistic to what you're attempting to accomplish.
          It's like when your boss tells you to rest and recharge during your vacation so you're ready to get back to work. I envision myself on a beach somewhere with clenched fists and gritted teeth, saying "relax! I must relax!"

Another favorite is: Don't think about a polar bear.

Dx'd on 10-17-11
          Avonex since 10/28/11 - Tysabri since 1-26-12 - 18 doses, then Betaseron since 9/4/13
          Don’t be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you’ve been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what? – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Book 7

Comment

Originally posted by empirerecs View Post
            I have noticed that on many threads flares and other sx's are exacerbated by stress and the flares and other sx's bring on stress.

It's an endless cycle and I would guess interferes with many dx. There is hardly a cure for stress -yeah, anti anxiety and anti-depressants are prescribed and work temporarily but they can't work forever and shouldn't be taken forever.

"just try to get rid of the stress" is such a catch-all diagnosis that it's almost patronizing. I hate is a much as "take one day at a time." Both are easier said than done.

Just a vent and an observation.
            I hate that "just try to get rid of the stress" remark too!!! Just this week I've had to deal with my daughter who is a "high risk" teen; i've had to deal with major job issues including an out of town trip; i've had to deal with a spouse who is unsupportive with everything; and still keep up with the farm chores. MS flare?? sorry Kim (that's me) no time for that. cog fog? pain in your feet? vision issues? can't sleep? hmmmm you know stress makes it worse...you should try to reduce it some.

I can totally relate and understand my friend. Sometimes venting is all we can do.
            Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

Had a friend tell me that stress can make me really sick or even kill me. Great...what am I going to do...crawl in a hole? I am a wife &mother of a14 &11 yr old, work full time in a family business ( not my family) where I am the main revenue producer ( no pressure there), I am the only money maker at home, hubby is starting his own businss which is not a normal business mind you, so it will be a struggle...need I say more? if stress is what caused my sx & brought on the limbo I am now living in, it is what it is. Venting...whining...done!
              "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

gotta love it! thanks for sharing, it's cathartic. bless you all and "stay stress free!"
                This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Yep, there is definitely a correaltion between stress and flares. Too bad we can't all go live on a billionaire's island and be fed and cared for by other people and not worry our heads about who's gonna pay for it, or where the food comes from, or how our kids are being raised. If only that could be someone else's problem! HA!

"Going" to the beach. "Sipping" a margarita. Even these delights are active verbs. But they are more enjoyable verbs than "changing" the baby's diaper and "taking" the kids to the grocery store!
                  Proud Mom of three kids!
                  dx'd 1996

Comment

Working...
                  X