Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about heat intolerance

A question about heat intolerance...

Please forgive me if my science is totally wrong... my understanding is that people with MS suffer from heat intolerance. The cause of this is that nerve pathways become damaged and they are restricted to less 'space' than a normal persons nerve signals. When the body is heated, the nerves get overheated more easily because they are distributed over less nerve paths than a normal person. So people with MS suffer overheating/heat stroke like symptoms much more quickly.

Or something like that. My explanation may be off, in which case, the second half of my question will not make any sense.

If this is the explanation, why don't people with MS suffer in the cold as well? Wouldn't the nerve conduction be just as compromised in the cold? People with MS seem to have circulation problems anyway, why do they not suffer more easily from frostbite?

Originally posted by Luongo View Post
    why don't people with MS suffer in the cold as well?
    Many with MS do, Luongo. It really is not uncommon for a person with MS to be heat intolerant, cold intolerant or both.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Oh! My apologies then. It seems like heat intolerance is pretty commonplace in a discussion about the more restrictive MS symptoms, I haven't really heard about cold intolerance. Maybe "temperature intolerance" is more accurate.

Comment

Luongo:

If you Google MS + thermoregulation, you may get more details about MS and heat intolerance. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but I suffer severe heat intolerance. Since I do not sweat, I look like a boiled lobster when I overheat. My body is unable to cool itself as it normally would through sweating. Exteme fatigue/lethargy and nausea usually accompany the overheating.

I have to get into air conditioning as soon as possible, and occasionally have had to use ice packs on my armpit and groin area to help with the cooling process. Aside from walking difficulties, heat intolerance is by major issue.

Comment

Personally I think cold weather is easier for me to tolerate because I can always put on more layers of clothing and keep warm.

But if it is hot, there is not a thing I can do about it. Even if I strip naked it's still 95 degrees and 95% humidity. If I stay inside where there is AC, it's tolerable, but I like to get outside and do stuff. And outside, it's still hot.

Comment

Working...
          X