Need a support system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a support system...

I really need a support system and don't know what to do. I was just diagnosed and told my family and BF. All I got out of them was a simple ok. No one has asked how I feel or anything.

I tried chat tonight on this site and it just didn't work out. Some people were very nice and helpful but others, well I can't explain. It just didn't work out. I know my local MS chapter has a meeting once a month but, I really need something more. I go to counseling, but that is not for MS. I just don't know what to do. I am so very stressed and have had so much happen to me this year and now a MS Dx. I feel like I am falling apart. Any suggestions?

HI theofficemommie...........

I never got chat to work here on my 'puter either... Don't feel bad.

We have a weekly thread for newbies, recently Dx'd called Rest Area 51. Come and visit us anytime. There are plenty of helpful people here that KNOW what you are dealing with.

You said...I go to consuling but that is not for MS....

Is the type of counseling you already do appropriate to include you recent MS dx? Sounds to me like maybe it SHOULD be part of your counseling???

Gomer

Comment

Need a support system....

Hi Gomer,

I went to counseling today and I told her about the dx (she knew I was being tested). She is helpful with my general issues and feelings, but she desn't have the MS background knowledge. Right now I would like to have people that I can talk to about my dx and on a more regular basis. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Mommie

Sorry you left chat, it was a bit uncomfortable with her ranting, this is my first night there so I didn't know what to expect. I was just diagnosed on May 25th and started treatment about 2 weeks later. So while I won't have all the answers, I would be happy to be part of your support group, since we are both newbies, I think we could help eachother. So if you would like a new friend, just let me know, I am here

As for your family, do they know anything about MS? My husband was very, oh, really, ok, about it at first - but it was because he was in denial - he felt that if he didn't believe it, then i wouldn't be true. One night he said something to the effect of, well it's not like MS is going to make you go blind, he was totally joking trying to lighten the situation and NOT having any clue that it really could. So finally I said, I really need you to go out to the National MS site and look around, I need you to see what it is I have and what I could be dealing with and I need you to see it from a professional point of view, not from my emotional mess of a vision. He did, and it really made a difference. Unfortunately, there will be people that won't come around, especially if you don't look "sick".

Ok, I don't want to keep you - but let me know if you want to talk more

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, theofficemommie and tschic!

I'm sorry you both had a bad experience with chat; hopefully it can be straightened out so you can go back and feel more comfortable there.

We can be your support group here on the message board, too. Things don't move as fast as in chat, but we do talk to each other...just with pauses in the conversation.

We'd love to get to know you better and help you in any way we can!

Comment

Hi Officemommie,
            Let me introduce myself. My name is Toni and I am a part of MSWorld's Chat Administration Team. We were notified tonight of your post so I wanted to take the time to chat with you a little bit. MSWorld offers a unique, wonderful, caring and compassionate community for people with MS and their caregivers. In chat we try very hard to keep the conversation along those very lines. Unfortunately, sometimes when there are alot of people in the room, there tend to be several conversations going on at the same time and things can get a bit muddled. And it doesn't help when you get another chatter that is being a big of a challenge. My partner, OMZOP and myself would like to offer a sincere apology and hope you will reconsider visiting chat again. Nighttime is usually the busiest time of day for chat, so if you are able, maybe consider coming in during the morning or in the afternoon? We would love to have the opportunity to help answer your questions, and give you the support that you are looking for. We have lots of wonderful people here in both chat and on the Message Boards and would really like to have you as a part of that group. Warmest regards, Toni aka KitOP, Chat Administration, MSWorld

Comment

Good to meet you

Chat is a fast paced event at night and can take many forms. When I was NEW NEW, I would go in ( and still do from time to time) and feel like I couldn't say what I wanted to because they where talking about something else. Usually this is happening at night and you can find someone to answer your questions. Its not considered rude to us in Chat to just throw out a new topic. Its the best way to change a bad topic! Just keep changing it till the person gets the idea. Doesn't happen a lot but it can happen. Just like a crazy relative on Thanksgiving

Don't give up on Chat and you can ALWAYS ask if someone can help you in another chat rm. Unless since I was in last they changed the rules you could go into another rm if the main rm was to busy. That can be a good way for you to find someone to help you to.

Gomer said it about the newbie thread on here to...I never posted there that I can remember but I have read ppls posts and its a WONDERFUL tool for you to use! I hope you find some small comfort with us and give Chat another try. It can be overwhelming sometimes.

isamadjul
              (allyson)
              DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

tschic and theofficemommie--Welcome to MSWorld. I hope we can find encouraging and helpful support here. I was just diagnosed in September and have only had two years of major symptoms but if there is anything I can do to help support I would be happy to. If I'm in chat, I would be happy to go to the Annex with you. I have not found a better place for support myself.

Comment

First of all for you and all new here.. WELCOME and do not let things in chat or on this thread lead you astray. Its not typical as most on MS World want to listen, inform and offer support ok hon?

In chat, you need to assert yourself with what you need and want. Not all participate and it moves quickly as more and more come in, esp in the evening.

As far as your therapist goes, she doesn't need to know all that much about MS (though it may help) but help you COPE with issues that relate to MS, or whatever else you are going through. You may want to bring to your therapist information you need her/him to know about MS. Also come prepared by identifying issues you want to address. If it is not a good fit, then ask the MS office if they know of therapists who are more familiar with MS.

Just remember, you are not alone, and we'll try to be here for you as much as we can ok?

Gentle hugs, Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                  X