Is my pain typical of MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my pain typical of MS?

I have had MS for 31 years, with mostly sensory symptoms. Over the past several days, my shoulders, arms and hands have begun to ache. When I type, my fingers hurt, and feel like I have been typing for weeks on end wthout stopping. Also, my eyes sort of hurt, like a headache in my eyes.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does it sound like MS? My PCP didn't think so, as he said MS doesnt usually cause pain, but I sent him some info that says differently.
    I am taking Aleve and Tylenol, with little or no relief.
    Ideas anyone? Suggestions?
    Owwwwww....

MS pain

I'm sorry after all these years you know have to endure MS pain. This topic really infuriates me when neuros claim that MS does not cause Pain....Yes it does and it can be unbearable. If they would just listen to their patients read our forums,etc....There was an article in Momentum magazine all about MS pain

I see my neuro tomarrow and will be bringing this article because he says the same thing. So to answer your question YES YES YES it causes pain anywhere and sometimes everywhere be it due to spasms, over doing it etc.

I am currently on morphine and diazapam thru a pain clinic he sent me to because he didn't want me to become addicted and would not prescribe narcotics. I truly understand but that doesn't mean we have to live in pain.

Hope this helps
    Linda

Comment

doc just prescribed gabapentin(neurotin) for me after otc stopped working. that might be happening to you too, meds become ineffective over frequent use. its not morphine level pain but the consistent soreness gets on a persons nerves after a while. did otc meds like tylenol, ibpuprofin help?

i find a potasium suppliment in the morning sometimes, it helps when the soreness is not too bad. sometimes i think it low hydration because of incontinence control plays a part in it (is a contributing factor which magnifies it.) Potassium suppliment helps with water balance.

Its best to get gabapentin or neurotin from the doc but here is link to an article by a doc that recommends 10 things which should be in a persons medicine cabinet & in one paragraph she suggests tylenol can be used in tandem with NSAID every 4-6 hours. because they are 2 very different meds that relieve 2 different things.

acetaminophen (Tylenol) and any NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) which includes ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, or Aleve. Remeber Tylenol is a pain reliever and fever reducer it is not an anti inflammatory like NSAID. For certain types of pain tooth ache, back ache an NSAID might be more effective.

Try them both to see which is more effective for you.. Tylenol was better for me for 7 years. Now it does nothing. Ibuprofin is still effective but i dislike how much i take, thats why the doc prescribed Gabapentin.(neurotin)

Advil,Motrin,Aleve didn't do much--glad i bought small bottles when i tried them.

now its gabapentin & ibuprofin at times. gabapentin makes me so sleepy, i still use ibuprofin at times just not as much.

http://www.dailystrength.org/health_...dicine-cabinet
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

When doc gave me prescription for gabapentin, she said it was just like the OTC but different, she says she sometimes uses a low dose herself for soreness..she just prescribed a low dose for me, to try it, which is what i wanted, no use having any other meds become ineffective...it's prescribed for 3x/day but she has said as i need it, which is how i used the OTC. .It was only $6 for a bottle 60 pills, right in my price range 10 cents a pill.

Call your doc and have him prescribe it over the phone to see if it helps.
        100mg gabapentin(brand names Horizant,Neurotin,Gabarone)

the way i see it, this is the year 2011, the technology exists so i do not have to endure this in its entirety. i want to participate in the technology that has been developed often with tax dollars. tell the doc or nurse over the phone, that you just want to try this to see if it helps.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I don't know if there is a 'typical'. It seems to affect all of us differently. What you describe could be related but isn't necessarily. The pain I have experienced is spasms and sensory issues. And it IS related to my MS.

Comment

Working...
          X