Heat or Cold Sensitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat or Cold Sensitive

OH WOW I am in Chicago and I was just dropping my kid off at school and it is cold out and it isn't even that cold out 34 I think. I was FREEZING and I realized I am way more sensitive to the COLD than I am to the heat.

I can hardly move in the cold weather and I feel so much better when I have my heating blanket on me in the evening.

I have noticed that people who have MS have Heat sensitivity but I think I am opposite and do ok in the heat (Not 115 heat) but I do not do well in the COLD.

Just wondering what you are more senitive to...Heat or Cold??? Only if I could live in 75 with low humidity all year around (Chicago is NOT that place), if my hubby could find a good job in another part of the country we would be there (oh and if I could bring all my family)

Have a wonderful day (and stay warm)

Heidi

Are you kidding? 34 degrees is not that cold? Oh wait, you're in Chicago and I'm in Oklahoma City. Quite a difference!

I find that when it's cold, I am more stiff and clumsy. When it's hot, I buzz all over and feel drained and weak. And I personally hate humidity; I hate feeling all wet all the time, but that's just my personal thing. I don't think it's an MS thing.
    Proud Mom of three kids!
    dx'd 1996

Comment

34 IS cold but not -5 cold and I am NOT looking forward to that. I have a very hard time when it is humid out. It can be the dead of winter or the dead of summer and the humidity level is high and I have a hard time Either way I hate it.

I am pretty sure that when we retire we are going to be snow birds and head south for the winter....to bad I am only 32 and we have a ways to go until then I will bundle up....all cuteness went out the window today as I put on my big winter jacket and my scarf and gloves and ear muffs and boots and layers upon layers lol

Comment

We were sitting at -10 this morning in "balmy" Montana, and yes, cold definitely affects me. I mentioned this to my neurologist last winter, and she said there was no research, but cold definitely affects MS'ers. I've found I can't walk the dogs unless it's at least +20, and then I'm really bundled up. At night I watch TV laying under the covers on a heated mattress pad turned up high. I'm able to turn down the pad before sleeping.

Comment

I am the same way. For me, cold is actually painful. I can't quite explain it except to say that it hurts. We actually just moved from Michigan to Arizona, and I am feeling so much better here. Leaving my house no longer hurts

Comment

Originally posted by tigergrl74 View Post
            I am the same way. For me, cold is actually painful. I can't quite explain it except to say that it hurts. We actually just moved from Michigan to Arizona, and I am feeling so much better here. Leaving my house no longer hurts

lucky
            I am dreading going to pick my son up at 3:30 lol they told us we can no longer park right in front of the school so now I can no longer sit in my warm car till the last minute and have to walk 2 blocks (Ok pitty party over)

Comment

I'm starting to have doubts about my current neuro. I told him at my last visit that when I get very cold I start to shake and every muscle in my body gets so tense. Anything exposed will start to go numb after a bit. He told me that MS is only affected by the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by BeneathTheLies View Post
                I'm starting to have doubts about my current neuro. I told him at my last visit that when I get very cold I start to shake and every muscle in my body gets so tense. Anything exposed will start to go numb after a bit. He told me that MS is only affected by the heat.
                Does he have MS????? Heat Very much is affected by the cold. I like to say it is effected by "Extreme temps" when it is very hot or very cold my body goes bonkers Everybody's MS is Different I was just curious how it effected so for your doctor to say it ONLY heat affects MS is B.S. Sounds like he or she needs to put down the books and listed to their patients a little bit

Comment

Extreme temps are hard for me either way. If I could live somewhere that was 75 degrees all the time, it would be perfect. Boring, but perfect.

Cold- I go numb really easily and very stiff.

Hot brings on all my symptoms into a psuedo-flare.

I don't do humidity at all with my asthma, so CO is just fine with me.
                  Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

The heat made me feel tingly, prickly and very weak....but the cold? OMG The cold is horrible. I too get very stiff and am in pain. I describe it as it feels like my body is turning to stone, almost like it is literally freezing solid.
                    DX 10/26/11

Comment

Glad to know I am not the only one sensitive to the cold! If it's below about 65 I am freezing. It seems as if i am always cold. I take hot baths all the time in the winter. I live the the NE so I don't know how heat would affect me but when I travel to FLA I seem to be fine. Because of where I live - I am cold about 8 months of the year.

Comment

I live in Arizona but up north. Here the temps go from 105 in the summer to below freezing in the winter.

The cold weather makes the cramping, burning spaatic pain alot worse, really tuff to walk.

The heat scrambles my brain, drains my energy, and direct hot sun on the spastic muscles causes those pin prickling tight cramping pains.

I guess all the way around the xtreems are what gets me too.

Funny though one moved from Michagan to Arizona and I'm looking to move out of Arizona to southern Minnisota. Not for the weather (love the snow hate the cold) but for the cost of living. Arizona sucks for cost of living.
                        COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

I cannot regulate my body temperature very well so either extreme is very hard on me.
                          Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

Both too!

I am very heat sensitive, but also when I get really really cold, everything is super stiff and it all hurts and my legs just wont work right! They like wont pick up or bend... I really have to concentrate just to walk when I'm super cold.

I know several MSers that are the same exact way...
                            -Creede

Comment

I am both heat and cold sensitive...probably more cold than heat sensitive. I live in AZ, so I know how 115+ degree heat affects me. The cold affects me more severely, while most people shiver as a normal reaction to cold, I just seem to totally lock up...even have trouble breathing.

It makes sense to me...shivering is muscle spasms to generate warmth. Think how that process might work when you have MS and significant nerve damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X