Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phantom Itch..anyone? Arm numbness and new symptoms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Itch..anyone? Arm numbness and new symptoms.

Recently my left arm has become numb, and with it I feel the sensation of having an itch on the back of my neck or shoulders but when I go to scratch it, it almost feels like either its underneath my skin or just not there at all. It's almost like feeling as though I am wearing an itchy wool sweater, but I can't get the itch. For new symptoms, this is certainly the most annoying!!

Has anyone else experienced this??

It is driving me crazy. Also, it seems to get a little worse when I am trying to go to sleep. Oh what a strange journey this is.

Yes! I have itches I can't scratch, and it does drive me nuts. What can I say? I guess I'm glad it doesn't hurt...

Comment

Oh yeah, I've had those itches...it's our wacked out nerves.
      Opiegirl, Dx 1991
      Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
      Estriol 9/12-present
      Still Hopeful.

Comment

LOL! Yep! I've had the exact same thing...and I deal with the partial numbness on several areas of my body.

I will "feel" the itch on my arm, for example, and I will go to scratch it but when I do - I'll touch the skin where I think the itch IS - but it's not there. I will start feeling around until I figure out where the itch is - if there is even a real itch. On the occassions when I DO find the itch....it is a good distance away from where I THOUGHT the initial itch was!

I've also had the feeling of the itch being "under the skin".

It's absolutley frustrating.

My neuro said that it's due to "mixed signals" from all those damaged nerves we have and it's just another one of those "MS" things. :-/

I think they can treat it with the anti-epileptic drugs they give MSers. Topomax...Lamictal...

Usually, it's not too bad, though.

Hope you're doing okay.

.jifr.
        Dx 4/02
        Brain & spinal lesions
        Current DMD: Betaseron (again)

Comment

I had the phantom itch (back of neck/shoulder) with my second relapse 2 years ago. This was before MS was even a fleeting thought. I would scratch myself almost raw and it wouldn't help.

I went to my dermatologist and she said she couldn't find anything. Said maybe I had a pinched nerve. Little did we know

I didn't have the itch with this summers relapse. it morphed into a burning sensation on certain skin contact.
          At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Benedryl gel tabs.

Comment

Glad to know it isn't just me. Thanks for making me feel less crazy!!

My Dr. prescribed me some Gabapentin, so we will see how this goes. She also is starting to think about an IV of steroids because of the new location of numbness, but I may try to just ride this one out for a little bit and see if it gets any worse.

Compared to all my other relapses, this one may be annoying but certainly is not nearly as bad or disruptive to my life. I'll take the numbness over not being able to walk any day.

One thing I can say for this disease is that it certainly makes me a lot more mindful and grateful for whatever level of functionality I have. It could always be worse.

Comment

Yes, I get an "itch" occasionally. I want to gouge my skin, trying to scratch the "itch". I have learned that if I can distract myself long enough the "itch" will eventually go away.
                DX 10/2008
                Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

mine is on the scalp, so I am scratching and itching and before dx I was even checking to see if my child had possibly brought lice home (girls will share hair things no matter how many times you emphasize don't do it!)

Comment

Working...
                  X