Winter walking with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter walking with MS

With 2 dogs, walking is something I do daily. I read somewhere (on this site?) that in the days before dmd's, one doctor recommended walking as long as possible.
    In the wilds of Montana, walking in the winter is a challenge since right leg strength and balance are real issues for me. A nurse at the clinic where I get my infusions recommended a product called "Stabilicers", and I purchased a pair. They are basically 17 bolts on a Vibram sole and weigh 1/2 pound each. They work and do keep me upright, and I figure the extra weight gives my legs some extra exercise. Needless to say, I don't walk as far, but I'm still walking! Thought they might prove useful to someone else

Winter walking

ru4cats,

Thanks for the tip! I'm always looking for safer walking. Glenn Cats rule & ......

Comment

Another similar product that I use are Yaktrax. I got them at REI. It is a rubber mesh with wiring on the bottom that slip on over sneakers or shoes. It really helps when I walk when the roads/sidewalks are snow packed or icy. You can still slip, but it makes my walks much more secure.

Comment

hints to get them off?

I have thought of getting these to walk into school from the parking lot.

But once I get in the door they have to come off. There is no way I can bend and stand on one foot while I slip them off. I would tip over faster than an icecube in hot water!

What do you guys do?
        You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

I love Yaktrax

I love Yaktrax. I used to be able to run on ice because of them.
          zilphia01 I put a ziptie on them and then I just pull them off with the ziptie. I started doing it because it helps keep my hands dry. Hopefully this would help a little.
          see my MSWorld homepage to follow my blog

Comment

Pre-MS days, I use to use YakTrax with no problem, but with my right side balance/stability issues, they no longer work. I feel more unstable! Last year I used YakTraX Xtreme, and they worked, but I still had snow accumulation under the soles of my boots. The Stabil-Icers seem to take care of this for me.

Comment

Zilphia

What did I do? I asked the custodian to place a chair inside the door, where I could sit and take the Yak Trax off (and I always had a grocery plastic bag in my school bag so I could put the snowy-slushy yaktrax in safely.

In short order, it was more than just me wearing YakTrax!
              First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
              Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Where does everyone buy these cool devices? I'm in Canada so some stores are out because of that. Any websites that I can order from?
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

REI online

I purchased mine at the REI store here in Colorado, but am sure that you can buy them online too. Try REI online....

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

YakTrax`

YakTrax can be bought online. Google it.
                      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
                      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Working...
                      X