Do you cook for the Holidays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you cook for the Holidays?

With Thanksgiving around the Corner I was wondering if you are doing the cooking or if you are letting someone else do the cooking this year?

I am letting someone else do the cooking this year and I am so excited about it, however I will be doing Christmas As much pain and as tired as I may be in.....MS can't get me down on the Holidays There is nothing better than my children running around and the smell of food.

Sorry I am just in a good mood today

We usually always go to visit family (it's just me and my husband up here in the mountains) but this year I can't take off from work so this will be my first attempt at making a turkey! I rarely cook at all so this is a big one for me and I'm hoping that it'll work out. I'm really excited to try. I really am too lazy to cook actual meals but when I do they actually turn out pretty good. My husband says it's because I'm italian and good cooking is in my blood
    Dx'd RRMS 5/27/11 · Started Betaseron 6/13/11

Comment

We go to my parents house for the holidays. My mother does the majority of the cooking the kids, my siblings and I, usually just bring a side, dessert or whatever else we feel like bringing.

Every year I also make Thanksgiving dinner on another day for my children and my ex-husband. He has nowhere else to go as his mother lives in South Carolina and we live in Nebraska and I hate that he is alone for the holidays, but this year I don't think that will happen. Not because I don't know if I will have the energy but it is simply because of my financial situation right now. 6 months on medical leave from work this year has really put me behind. I probably won't be above water for a couple of years now. Frustrating....*sigh*
      DX 10/26/11

Comment

My wife and I normally have her family over, and the past few years I have been BBQing a beer can Turkey. This year her family is not coming over, and because of MS reasons.

So it will be a good opportunity for me to experiment a little with the beer can Turkey, I to figure out how to get the skin crispier and to stay crispy when the turkey is cooling.

Any suggestions? Been doing a under the skin spice rub, I think I need to add something like butter to it.

Hmmm? I may try doing grilled sweet potatoes, or some other side dish.

Anyway, with no rush to get the house cleaned-up from company this year should be more relaxing.

P.S. We are also going to my family's, and equals no cooking, just eating. Good Times!
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

We get together with other childless friends for Thanksgiving and take turns doing the turkey. This year I don't have to do it. However, I will be doing my traditional Norwegian Christmas eve dinner for anywhere from 8-14. This will be my 59th year of enjoying the dinner and the 38th year of making it! My brother-in-law asked my husband if he thought I should be doing it. My feeling is if I don't, MS wins, and I refuse to let it win! I might have to modify some things and ask for extra help, but I WILL DO DINNER!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
            My wife and I normally have her family over, and the past few years I have been BBQing a beer can Turkey. This year her family is not coming over, and because of MS reasons.
            Ooops! Make that NOT because of MS reasons.
            I doing good with my MS.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I'll be doing an organic turkey plus a Tofurkey, and all the trimmings. I make pumpkin pie from scratch with coconut milk instead of dairy milk; it's really good!

It takes me three days to do the cooking, because I have to break it up into doable sections with plenty of rest in between. I really should give up trying altogether because it takes so much out of me, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Comment

Last year, my family gathered at my oldest son's home and everyone just brought a dish or two, so I didn't have to cook the entire Thanksgiving meal since my husband and I separated. (Even then, the family brought certain dishes and I just made the turkey rolls - huge slices of turkey wrapped around dressing and covered in gravy.)

However, this year, I'm trying to talk my entire family into going to Cracker Barrel restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll probably still make a pumpkin cheesecake, just because they all love it so much. But at least we won't have all the cleaning up to do. (And for those of us who want left-overs, I've suggested just buying two meals and taking one of them home.)

Hopefully they will agree to that. It'll sure be a whole lot easier! (I've got two of them onboard with the plan, I just have to get the other two sold on the idea.)
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                  My feeling is if I don't, MS wins, and I refuse to let it win! I might have to modify some things and ask for extra help, but I WILL DO DINNER!
                  I have a just 5 year old and almost 7 year old....... I am with you, I will NEVER let MS win

I have a very big family and yes I still have little ones at home and lots of nieces and nephews.....Holidays are stressful and loud and I would not change a second of it

Comment

Roast turkey is actually a pretty easy main dish to make, even for me, not much of a cook. I buy the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix, put it in the turkey, put the turkey in the oven, then wait the required number of hours. Now all the side dishes and desserts, they take longer!

I go to Dream Dinners every month any way, and make a whole month's worth of meals in one Saturday morning. They usually have a great selection of side dishes for Thanksgiving, but this year, I ordered both the turkey and all the sides from Dram Dinners. Saturday is my day to pick up everything, so I'll be ready next Thursday, with very little work.

When we lived in Washington State, the local grocery store chain (Haggen's) had wonderful ready-to-go Thanksgiving dinners, with turkey, sides and desserts all for a reasonable price. I did that a couple years too.

I figure that having MS but still working full-time, I need to cut corners some, and these are some ways I do that.

Comment

Im very lucky this year My Mom with whom hasnt' made thanksgiving dinner in years will be doing it just for me, my husband and my kids......

why you ask she suddenly changing her thanksgiving day routine? she's been soo nice to me since my dx. I gotta say it's really bonded us me having a disease and all LOL.

so, I will be cheating on my gluten free that day and eating everything in sight!

i hope everyone has a great day
                      Jen Dx'd 5/11
                      "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Holiday cooking

I cook for both Thanksgiving and Christmas--and take it to my Father's. I do most of the cooking the week or so before and freeze it. Sweet potatoes, dressing, pies, and another side get done early. All I need to do is the turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes.

For Christmas--we are Italian--I make the sauce with sausage and meatballs etc--freeze it. Last year I pre-cooked the ravioli--put it in a baking dish and froze that too. Lazagna gets frozen before baking, I just bake it that day.

One of my nephews, picks up the frozen food and takes it to my Dad's, the week of the hoilday, I just call my Dad and instruct him as to what to take out of the freezer, and thaw in the refrigerator. This has been working out really well for about 4 years.

Comment

Feast for all

I cook for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and though I was just diagnosed in August, I plan for this year to be no different. My mom and step dad come from Illinois to be with us, and my partner's family (who lives 1.8 miles from us) comes over also. We do the entire Thanksgiving feast (as has been my family's tradition since before i was born), including turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, asparagus, cranberry salad, vegetable/relish tray, etc, and home made pumpkin pies for desert. For Christmas, I do a standing rib roast, yorkshire pudding (i'm the only one who likes it, but I can't give it up), green salad, and whatever else anyone wants. I love the holidays. Sent out 64 holiday cards/letters yesterday! I'm considering decorating the mantel today, though we usually do it the day after Thanksgiving.

Comment

I bake, my GF cooks. Otherwise we'd never get invited anywhere
                            At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

For 37 years, I amde the turkey and all the fixings. two years ago, my dd;s first thanksgiving as a wife, she did it all. Last year dh, other dd and I went out for a buffet. Wonderful.......this year, we are going out again.l Will be in DC visitng dd and she has a really small place, so we are going out again. We also went to father in laws for thanksgiving and ate second dinner there.

I also feel like you all, and I will not let MS win, but i think this might have happened anyway. We are in a small house now that kids are gone and do not really have room for everyone to even sit at the table.

Christmas is my holiday. I love to decorate qnd am already wrapping presents.....I never cooked, just get a honey baked ham so we hqve something to snack on and make cheesy potateos. Again busy day, we go to inlaws and they cook.....I do maike candy for ourselves and to give to everyone, hair dressers, etc. neighbors....they all get homemade candy......

Good luck to those of youwho cook and remember do not let this MonSter get to you, buit do not overdo it. Keep your health so you can enjoy the holidays.

I do miss drinking mywine while I cooked the turkey

JudySz

Comment

Working...
                              X