Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Hug

Is the MS Hug spasticity?

I feel like my MS really loves me - it definately is hugging me! it's not "painful" but is noticable around my ribs and into my upper back. Sometimes it includes my upper left arm. I am just wondering if increasing my Baclofen a bit would help.

There is a good explanation of what the hug is here:
    http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_hug_pain.htm

My doctor prescribed neurontin (gabapentin) which is prescribed for neuropathic pain and it worked, however because of side affects he had to reduce the dose and then it didn't work. We're in the process of coaxing my body to accept a higher dose by gradually increasing the milligrams.

Comment

The "hug" has been constricting me to death for almost two years now. I am pretty sure it's when the muscles between your ribs are spasming. Oh man, it's killing me right now!

I take 450 mg a day of Lyrica, and that has helped, and I take 8 mg of Zanaflex at night before bed, and I think that helps well into the morning hours. Plus being asleep nulls out that nasty dry mouth. I sure wake up with a mouth full of paste though. Blech!

I'm also taking 50 mg of nortriptyline, but I have no clue how that works into the equation. I plan to ask tomorrow at my neuro appt.

Nobody has tried Baclofen on me yet (for this). I don't know if it would help you or not ... worth a try maybe? Also Bengay gives me temporary relief. Count yourself lucky that it's just "hugging" you, because this is just the worst pain I've ever felt, like, on par with childbirth.
      Proud Mom of three kids!
      dx'd 1996

Comment

I too have had the HUG for two years...My doctors prescribed Gabapentin and I kept going back to them saying NOT WORKING...I just kept getting told to UP the dosage. Called MS CLINIC last week DESPERATE and FINALLY they said lets try 30 mg Baclofen at Bed Time...I can now sleep through the night and not wake up at 1am in pain. For me Baclofen seems to be my savior not Gabapentin

Comment

Working...
        X