Swallowing problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swallowing problems?

Okay, I have a question about a new symptom I'm having. The past couple days, I've been having some issues swallowing... it feels like there is something stuck in my throat.

I do know that swallowing problems can come w/ lesions on your brain stem, and I have two lesions there. I've had swallowing issues before, but that was when I was in the middle of a flare and half of my face was paralyzed.

I have an appointment in the morning with my neuro, but I just wanted to get some insight from others.
    Ashley Ringstaff
    Living with MS since 8/30/10

I don't have any insight, I'm still in limbo land. But I've had two episodes lately where it felt like something stuck in my throat while eating. It was a little scary but I wasn't choking. Eventually it passed both times. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    ~ Lisa

In limbo-land waiting for a diagnosis...yay?!

Comment

swallowing

I also have swallowing problems. Mine are definitely from MS. Mine is mostly with liquids and also with crumbly food. I've gotten to the point that I can catch it before It get bad.

Lois

Comment

Sorry you are having this issue and yet glad you'll be seeing your neuro. I had choking problems for long time and then a swallowing test in which a doctor watches while you eating a piece of bread (after you swallow a contrast). ok.. so I have swallowing problems.. no treatment.

Finally was seeing a gastroenterologist who said he could do an EDG ( tube/ scope down esophagus to stomach to look around for problems). He said he could dilate or stretch my esophagus too. HE did. It hurt slightly the next couple of days whenever I would swallow (like a slight sore throat) so you have to be careful you only eat soft foods. NO more choking when I ate, and no more inability to swallow at all when I would sleep. I would wake up in a panic unable to swallow at all. I would do self talk to keep myself from a major panic and drink VERY cold water to get the nerves to finally respond and swallow..whew..

It worked for years, then had a tune up EDG at first sign of swallowing problems and that helped again.

So Neuro may or may not know what to do. BUT make sure you tell them you'd like an EDG consult with a gastro doc ok?

Hope you get relief..

Hugs, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
        X