Confused and frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused and frustrated

I was diagnosed with MS in July. Dr put me on Betaseron. Just had blood tests done and my Dr said I need to stop the Betaseron because liver enzymes were high and platelets were low. My blood was tested again 2 weeks later and Dr said results were the same. My Dr does not seem to know what the best course for me and is not giving me a lot of answers, he just wants to test blood again in 2 weeks. Is this a common occurrence?

Unfortunately, yes. I stopped Beta after 5 fun-filled years because it had killed too many of one type of white blood cells.
    On the plus side, it all bounces back after about 6 weeks. (Apparently - I'm not a doctor, not even much of an amateur self-medicator.)

Comment

Did you go on a different medication after 6 weeks?

Comment

Everybody's body reacts differently. There's no way to tell in advance how your body is going to react. The only choice is to test drive it and see what happens. Dr. is wise to take you off it if your liver enzymes are high. It can cause liver damage and he must proceed cautiously. Sometimes it takes awhile for your body to get used to it. Some Drs. titrate it up slowly to avoid negative reaction. Even so, your body may still take time to get used to it.

Comment

Working...
        X