can't move legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't move legs

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. I have ppms. Both times I had a fever, and couldn't get out of bed no matter how hard I tried. I am ambulatory but use a cane. But for some reason the fever severely affects my legs and upper body strength. Couldn't sit up and 'roll' out of bed. When my wife finally got me to stand up, I walked a few steps, lost my balance and fell like a downed tree, and it took some time before I could get up. After the fever subsided, I was able to move a little better. Anyone else experiencing this?

Peace - Nick

Hi Nick,

Anything that can increase your core body temp can affecst MS negatively. This is seen with the flu, heat, any virus or infection or a fever of unknown orgin. The affects on MS is usually self-limiting, when the cold, flu, virus, infection, fever resolve symptoms will usually improve back to what is normal for the MS patient.

If you are concerned about the affects the fever has on you please speak to your Neurologist for the best advice.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksan View Post
      This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. I have ppms. Both times I had a fever, and couldn't get out of bed no matter how hard I tried. I am ambulatory but use a cane. But for some reason the fever severely affects my legs and upper body strength. Couldn't sit up and 'roll' out of bed. When my wife finally got me to stand up, I walked a few steps, lost my balance and fell like a downed tree, and it took some time before I could get up. After the fever subsided, I was able to move a little better. Anyone else experiencing this?
      Peace - Nick
      Nick. I think your experiencing Uthoff's phenomenon, where when heated, nerves conduct more poorly. It seems like the fever has heated your core temperature and it desrupts your nerves. A friend used an electric blanket one night and could not get up the next morning.

Here's a link about Uthoff's.

http://www.themcfox.com/multiple-scl...s/uhthoffs.htm

But give a call to your Neuro's office.

Comment

Hey Nick,

I'm not PPMS, but if my fever spikes high enough I can't use my legs. I I can keep it around 100 degrees with Tylenol or Ibuprophen, they will work, but if it spikes higher than that forget it.

Funny story...early on in my MS journey I had a high fever and couldn't move my legs (turned out it was a pretty bad UTI I wasn't having symptoms with.). Anyhoo, we tried for a half an hour to figure out how to get me in our SUV so my husband could take me to the ER. Finally we borrowed someone else's car because I could not step up into the SUV. When we got to the ER, the nurse came out and helped my husband get me out of the car and into a wheelchair. After explaining how we had spent so much time trying to figure out how to get me to the ER, the nurse annoyingly looked at my husband and said, "Sir, have you ever heard of an ambulance?". Of course the thought never had crossed our mind, and this was in the early days before I had assembled my arsenal of mobility aids for every occasion.

Keep the fever under control and your legs might cooperate more...but make sure you don't have a UTI or something that you need meds to clear up

Comment

Working...
        X